southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: pond maintenence and fishing
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:05 pm 
Brown Trout

Finally....with word we're supposed to get 3 good days of rain tonight thru wed. ...I got around to cleaning off the riser and filling in around it with red clay. It does'nt look like it...but there is about 80-90 tractor buckets of dirt in there. The front bucket on the tractor will hold about 4 wheelbarrows full. I had to build up behind it just so I could drive the tractor down near it....then had to hand shovel about 70 % of the dirt out to the front of the riser (can't drive on it...the cover is just 3/8ths rebar. the riser is 10 ft. deep....it seemed like I was going to have to fill the entire pond before I got it built up enough to form an edge of about a foot and a half or so in front. I'm going to let this sit thru the rain and hopefully settle in good...add a little more and then hopefully find some crushed rock or concrete to put over that.Anyway....hopefully this will keep it from loosing so much water in the summertime.As you can see from the pics...right now its down almost 3 ft. and 3 ft. of water makes a huge difference in the size of the pond...right now theres 10 to 15 feet of bank exposed that is normally underwater.

first time the pond has ever been this muddied up....hopefully that will settle in a week or so.

Now to the fishing part....while working on the riser....I saw a good number of bass busting the surface so I figurd maybe they are eating.....so I went out this morning and pound the bank with plastic rigged weedless.....the fish are holding right in the first couple of feet from the bank in really thick cover....but twiching something completely weedless along over top will draw them out. I had some vicious strikes...but unfortunately the strike to hook up ratio was about 1 in 5. saw some big fish...only hooked one really decent one of about 5 pounds.

big bluegill were also hitting grubs.

Post subject: Re: pond maintenence and fishing
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:59 am 
Brown Trout

Pretty bluegill for real !!!!

I would suggest that you go ahead and put some 4-6 inch rip rap on the water side of the riser. That way you will never have to fool with it again.

JT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:26 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

Nice job on the fill dirt around the pond Tom.Looks like the bass were ready for some action,nice!Give me a call when you get back in town and maybe we can hook up with Cam and John to look a the fly tackle you mentioned that was on the forum for sale.I want to get started learning the art of fly tying from the "pro".Drive safe and we'll see you later man. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:37 pm 
Brown Trout

Stone-Man wrote:

I would suggest that you go ahead and put some 4-6 inch rip rap on the water side of the riser. That way you will never have to fool with it again.

JT

Jt...thats what I wanna do....but down here they sell rock for just slightly less than the price of gold! :o I have a small pile of busted up concrete I plan to use....and plan on talkin to some construction companies to see if I can get some cheap if not free stuff.

next big job.....lily pad reduction :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:46 pm 
Brown Trout

Has anyone else noticed that Overbrook seems to post the exact same fish photos in various threads? :? I know that when Peter was down there, he actually caught a big fish instead of that same small one Overbrook keeps lippin'. Just sayin.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:04 pm 
Brown Trout

Christensen wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that Overbrook seems to post the exact same fish photos in various threads? :? I know that when Peter was down there, he actually caught a big fish instead of that same small one Overbrook keeps lippin'. Just sayin.

Actually I have 3 different fish pictures.....I then just photoshop them in where needed.....saves me the time from having to search the internet.

See....I can even make your non-fish catching ass look like a hero......now go tell all your friends you caught three fish at the same time....all while talking on the cell phone. :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:14 am 
Brown Trout

:lol: :lol: :lol: I actually did laugh out loud.