southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Down south with "swamp boy"
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:53 pm 
Brown Trout

Met up with Croaker Sunday morning around 7:30 Am (after finding some gas with about an ounce to spare). He took me to an old mill pond that looked pretty promising despite low water. The pond is riddle with stumps and I had always figured it would be great to fish a place like that. The day started out kind of slow ...and well....remained slow. I think we averaged about a fish per hour. I threw a few flies starting out with no luck....and decided to do a little recon with the spinning rod thinking if we could find a school of crappie or a "hot spot" I would grab the flyrod again.....but I think the best was maybe two fish close together at any time. Don manage a few bass on an epoxy minnow and I caught a few crapie, two nice brim and a couple of small bass on a plastic grub. The wind was howling at probably 45-50 MPH most of the day with us rarely finding shelter. Despite the persistant wind we still had a pretty good day....as Don put it.."it beats the hell out of staying home"
Don's first bass...
Fighting the wind (and this was a calm moment!
Another bass on the epoxy minnow...
the pond...
Its a pretty good sized pond!
the only pic I took of any of my fish was this big brim....which seems to have shrunk in the cooler....I swear it looked and felt like a monster in the water!
It started to drizzle on us....so we called it a day....
We only got Don's truck stuck twice....once puttin in and once taking out thanks to my fine direction.
"come on back a little more....yeah ...right there.....you'll never get this thing out here!"

I definately want to do it again when the hurricanes pass!

Thanks for having me down Don....I appreciate it!

Post subject: Re: Down south with "swamp boy"
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:33 pm 
Brown Trout

Missed y'all on the SOHO but glad you got out and caught a few.

TC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:59 pm 
Brown Trout

Was a good day fishin’ despite less than favorable conditions, low water, high winds, damn near boggin’ the truck down puting in and taking out. Losing the stern anchor due to neglect (didn’t check the rope before tossing the anchor out.) And didn’t throw Overbrook outta the boat when hitting stumps…

Skunk off. Small LM Bass on a flashdancer.
Overbrook casting in the breeze…
Dern near gale force wind…
Overbrooks just under one pound Bluegill. Get the net!
Small LM with the Epoxy minnow.

Come on down any time Tom.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:35 am 
Brown Trout

Damn, that is a fishy looking pond.

Tell me how it fishes in April ??

Helluva Bluegill for sure. Looks close to a pound from here.

Good stuff Yawl

JT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:46 pm 
Brown Trout

Stone-Man wrote:
Damn, that is a fishy looking pond.

Tell me how it fishes in April ??

JT

JT....Croaker knows the pond I don't....but what I can tell ya is that it has the makings of a hell of a good pond....I even remarked to don that I never saw a dink bluegill chase me fly or even the little grubs I was throwing with the spinning rod.....usually thats a sign that things are in balance and there are enough large fish in there to keep things in check. I'm anxious as hell to give it another try!

On a side note ...I was'nt disappointed in the fish count because I did'nt fair to well at my pond on thursday...and I know there are plenty of fish in there.....weather just had em' shut down! :cry:

Short story thursday....I fished a little while with the flyrod....caught nothing...went to plastics, caught a 1pd bass....went to the front of the pond and tied on one of Peter's woolhead shad flies and threw it about ten ft to the right of the riser and felt like I hit a stump....till it about jerked the rod out of my hand.....damn thing was enourmous....made two leaps,I kept pressure on it....then it started towards the surface again and just before he broke the surface ...he came unbuttoned. it was as big or bigger than the one Peter caught at RITS. a little later I threw a Dr. Death out in open water and hooked into a slob of a crappie....bigger than a dinner plate 2 1/2 pds fer sure....he rolled up towards the surface and snapped ten pound tippet ( or a poorly tied knot??). I got so mad I smacked my rod down and broke the first ten inches off....grabbed the spinning rod...went to tie on a rapala type lure and the wind blew my line all around and somehow got hung up with the fly rod and then the lure....within seconds I had a cacoon of fishing line around both rods and the lure....I said "*%*^% it" and went back to the house....it just was'nt meant to be that day. :lol: