southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Striper fishing on Kerr Lake
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:57 pm 
Brown Trout

It's a bit of a stretch to call this "warm water fishing", but Sat. the 17th, I hooked up with a bunch of Triangle Fly Fishers for a striped bass fishing outing on Kerr Lake. The weather liar had told us that the day would start off in the 40's and warm to the mid 50's. Well, that didn't happen. It started in the low 40's and stayed in the 40's all day. It was overcast, which is good for fishing, though, and it wasn't particularly windy, nor did it rain, so, in all, it was a good fishing day.

We had 6 boats in our group, with 2 fishermen per boat, but there were other groups on the lake. I mooched a ride with Bill Gregory. who has a 19' Carolina Skiff. Those make good casting platforms! The process, I'm told, is you get out on the lake, and start looking for flocks of sea gulls. Wherever you find the gulls, there's a good chance there's a school of stripers busing bait underneath.

I'm not real familiar with Kerr Lake, so I got turned around almost immediately, but it didn't matter, as I wasn't driving. After we launched, we started cruising up the lake looking for birds. It only took about 10 to 15 minutes before we spotted gulls flying toward a cove. As we entered the cove, we saw we had hit the jackpot! We cut power, and quickly rigged our rods for action. I had my 9' 8wt salmon rod, but Bill didn't like the looks of my line, and insisted that I use one of his reels loaded with a 450 grain tungsten line. I tied on a size 2 chartreuse/white Clouser, and started pitching. To make a long story short, it about 3 casts I had my first bite, and after missing 2 bites, I managed to connect with an 18" striper. For the next hour, we had pretty good fishing, landing 7 or 8 stripers, in the 14" to 20" range, and loosing several more.

I was too busy fishing to take many pictures, but Bill got this one. It was typical of what we were catching.

After the bite died off in that cove, we motored around a bit looking for another school. Just before noon we hit another cove with an active bite. A few more fish were caught, including a nice 14" large mouth. I hate that I didn't get a picture of that. We joined with another boat, and ate our lunch in the back of that cove.

After lunch, we motored around and found 2 more schools, but the action wasn't as good as it had been early in the day. Still, enough fish were caught to keep things interesting. About 3pm, Bill had to call it quits, as he was about out of fuel.

This was my first freshwater striper trip. Lord willing, it won't be the last.

Post subject: Re: Striper fishing on Kerr Lake
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:29 pm 
Brown Trout

Sounds like Striper catchin' to me 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:07 pm 
Brown Trout

Got a friend who recently discovered Kerr stripers as well. He reports same sort of action. Yep, need a heavy sinking line. The action seems to be on top but most of your hook ups are going to be from fish down below where all the bait fish are busting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:52 pm 
Brown Trout

Nice report. Glad you got into 'em!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:22 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Great report. How deep did you have to let the fly sink or were they hitting it on top?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:19 pm 
Brook Trout

Looks like you had a good time. Enjoyed reading the report and the pics.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:07 am 
Brown Trout

Good stuff....what flies were used?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:12 am 
Brown Trout

Almost all the fish, for all the boats, were taken on chartreuse and white Clousers. In the coves, where I caught most of my fish, it was just a matter of getting the fly down to the bottom, but in the deeper water, the experienced guys, who know how to do this, said that they were working at about 20'. The fish finders were all showing large fish at 20' to 35' deep.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:53 am 
Brown Trout

Good stuff Paul. It sure beats walking around the mall this time of year.

TC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:35 pm 
Brown Trout

Your friend took a great photo of you, the fish, the birds, the water, the setting and the boat... that's a keeper for sure.