southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dec. bass
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:24 am 
Brown Trout

I got thru the house over the weekend but did'nt really have enough time to go float the Saluda....plus I could'nt get anyone else to go....they all already had dates :twisted: .....so I got up Sunday morning about 6:30 and looked out the window and saw frost on the windshields and decided to have some coffee and think it over.By 08:00 I decided to go out and try the pond....it was supposed to warm up to the 60's and no wind....but as Paul mentioned in his striper report....obviously they were wrong! :x
So I took the boat down from the loft...rigged up the 3/4 wt. that I got from ODG3 and the trusty 6 wt and headed out.There was still a good bit of fog rolling across the pond...

I tried some of the brim bugs that Bamboo10 sent me and fished it for nearly two hours while freezing my butt off and caught one measly little brim....it had no color and was'nt no bigger than my hand. It was'nt a bad reflection on they bugs Gary tied....the brim were just no where to be found? :? I tried everything from very shallow to slowly fishing the deepest sections....they just were'nt eating whereever they were. The bug looks good in the water....I used the brown one and I would think it would pass for a good stonefly nymph with enough weight.The ones he sent me were weightless and sank slowly once they soaked up enough water....they'll be good for shallow water in the spring...and some beadchain eyes will get em' down in the deeper water.
I tried casting a small Murdich minnow on the 4 wt....but it felt like I was throwing cotton balls.I bought it for throwing small poppers and dry flies on the river...and it will be great for that. I could easily cast gary's bugs 50 to 60 ft. but could'nt throw the larger flies 20 ft. :oops:

So I took out the 6wt. and threw the Murdich minnow (gunmetal over silver) around in some deeper spots thinking maybe I would luck into some crappie...no such luck. I finally caught a decent little bass by the dam...and eventually three more in the back end of the pond. Though none were much over a pound to a pound and a half ...they were all healthy and had really nice color and markings.

by about 1 in the afternoon...I called it a day and put the boat back up and headed in to warm up. Was'nt epic but its still nice to be able to catch a few bass in the middle of Dec.

Post subject: Re: Dec. bass
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:50 pm 
Brown Trout

I guess now you will want a refund on those bugs. If it's any consolation I went out for a while on Norman and I couldn't buy a bite either. At least you caught some bass, nice fish.
GJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:38 pm 
Brown Trout

bamboo10 wrote:
I guess now you will want a refund on those bugs.GJ

No Sir!! I'm sure they'll be the ticket in the spring....as you said..."I could'nt buy a bite" not with these or anything else....sometimes I think the fish disappear into some secret black hole in the pond. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:47 pm 
Brown Trout

Sounds like a good way to spend a December day. Nice looking bass.