southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: PFF Scouting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:28 pm 
Brown Trout

Made the trip a few hours South to Wagener, SC to to float the Savannah River with Overbrook last weekend. Plan was to fish his pond Sat night, then get up early and hit the Savannah. Fishing was a little off that weekend, but had a great time and I now know that next time I go to Vegas or bet on horses, I am calling Overbrook first. Always enjoyable to listen to some good stories while fishing! Not sure what happened, but the pics got f-ed up when I downloaded them so my apologies for the shitty report.

A key to a good float is supplies

View from the put in

A few of the fish

Saw a bunch of carp tailing and mudding, but only had one almost take until a little bass darted out and stole the fly. There were some very nice mud flats and the carp where all over the. Overbrook also had a few takes from a gar and hooked and lost a pig smallmouth. Overall the fishing was good, but for whatever reason it was off a bit on Sunday. It might have been the oppressive 90 degree heat.

Tom was nice enough to motor me around his pond in his john boat and served as my personal photographer so maybe he will post the pics of me getting my line tangled and casting blindly in the dark. Did manage a few fish along the way.

Another key to visiting Overbrook is to find where he keeps his fly boxs so yours look more like his. That guy is generous with handing out flies. I know Peddler is jealous.

Its a great river to float and the fish are there. Looking forward to hitting it up again this fall !

Last edited by JFey on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: PFF Scouting
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:23 pm 
Brown Trout

JFey wrote:
I know Peddler is jealous.

You damn sure got that right!
Not only 'cuz you got to rummage through Overbrooks stock but 'cuz you got to fish his two hot spots. In 5 more weeks they say I can go out and play again, until then, grounded and livin' life through the sporatic reports that come through.
Did I mention you suck? If I didn't, you don't but you do! ;)

Post subject: Re: PFF Scouting
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:07 pm 
Brown Trout

Yup.....So Jeff showed up at my place around 7 pizza was waiting.....I was too damn tired to grill or anything....we ate and took a ride in the swamp.....I tried to put him on all the better places.....but they just did'nt seem to want to play? Like Jeff said....som ething was off on the weekend?? Finally a little after dark while casting blindly in the more open water he got a couple of bluegill bites....

And just before getting the game ending tangle he finally connected with a decent little bass...

After the tangle we called it quits and went inside.....Jeff gave me some sob story about only having one puny little streamer box that looks like my midge box....so I threw him a few flies...

shared a few stories of days gone by....drank some warm beer...and realized we had about 3 1/2 hours till we were supposed to get up in the morning to go to the Savavnnah. I have to admit....Jeff is much more of a morning person than some of the other crackerjacks I fish with that are grumpy in the morning....you know who you are!!

We got there around 7:30 ish which is late for me.....the water looked good...I figured we would have great weather.....It was a beautiful day.....

But you heard the story from Jeff.....again....something just was'nt right. I hooked a large gar on one of dem' deadhead gar minnows with the treble hook trailer...he made 3 good runs and then gave me my fly back. I fished the "rocket pop" for the first half of the float with just a few short strikes....I stopped at the I-20 bridge and waited for dingleberry to catch up....He said he threw a wiggle minnow for about 7 casts and gave up....I said "hell yeah....I need to try one of those"....so I tied one on...cast it about 10 ft. out to see how it swam....I was impressed! I made a cast....stripped it back and told jeff I really liked this thing....next cast a behemoth smallie came out of no-where and inhaled the thing...I set the hook....he made one spectacular jump...jeff saw him....then took off straight down stream and broke me off before I even knew what the hell had just happened! I anchored up there for a bit....had several smaller ones chase it...had two that were in the pound and a half to two pound range stationed about ten ft. from my boat....but ignore every pass.....continued the day pretty much the same way....a few chases and short strikes....but nothing ever landed....What the hell.....it was still a nice day on the water....and I enjoyed jeff's company......Hopefully next time will be better....

Thanks for coming down Jeff!

P.S. I learned two things this weekend....Jeff drives like a girl.....and the wiggle minnow is my new favorite fly!! Any who has any sense will take stock in the company that sells those foam cylanders cause I'm gettin ready to make a very large purchase!!!