southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A score settled on the Savannah
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:07 am 
Brown Trout

So the last time down there with JFey I hooked a pig on a grey over white wiggle minnow and got broke off in short order, I vowed to seek justice, and here's how it went down....

I met up with Don and Bill at the takeout about 6:30 (old farts can't get out of bed early :D ) and we headed up to the put in. I, of course being the better fisherman in the group, drew first blood!

But then first thing ya know, I look over my shoulder to see a heck of a bend in Bill's rod.....I started to paddle over thinking he may want a picture.....

I saw him struggling with the rod and keeping a hand on the boat so I moved in to hold his boat for him while the battled insued.....but wait a minute...."bill....thats just a hunk of grass!"

After a ten minute battle with a big hunk of grass.....Bill finally landed his prize.....and a hunk of grass.

Nice fish Bill!!

So now that the skunk was off we moved on and proceeded to catch more than our fair share of fish!

some more dinks thrown in....

with the occasional pretty redbreast....

As the day wore on the fishing seemed to get better and better, started catching a fair number of redeye's which I had'nt seen too many of the last few trips....but they were eating today and there were some healthy ones in there!....

including this pig...which I thought at first was a good two pound smallie...man these guys fight hard for thier size!!

but I was looking for big smallies!!....and we definately found a few!....

Yup...it was one of them kinda days! sick, twisted, perverted...whatever you wanna call it! As I approached the I-20 bridge, I saw Bill and Don held up taking a break....so I joined them for a bit....but the reason I came down waited just beyond! I wanted my damn wiggle minnow back! So I moved out under the bridge and immediately spooked a decnt fish....but not the one I was after......I got out to the center of the river...moved just below the bridge and began to make a couple of casts....then it happened....

Yup! thats the pig I was looking for....and exactly where I had left him! Score settled!

I then went after his little brother next door....nothin like a good bend in the rod!

Bill and Don had moved on down toward the picnic area, so I tried to catch up.....Don't ask me what they were doing :o ...Ain't none of my buisness....I'm an open minded kind of guy and very tolerant!

At one point it looked like they were giving each other a big man hug....I just figured they were celebrating a good catch?? We moved on down further....

And I caught one more decent fish for the day....

then pretty much just enjoyed the scenery and tried to stay cool as it finally got to be a scorcher!

Twas a helluva good day! I caught lots of average redeyes' and 10" smallies....If I had to guess ...maybe 40+ in all.....it was a crapper load....and Don and Billres musta caught two crapper loads each because every time I turned or looked over my shoulder at least one of them was hooked up! Hopefully Don has some good flicks too...cause after Bills big fish I told him I was'nt taking any more pics of thier fish and making myself look bad!

JFey....shoulda been here yesterday! ( isn't that what they say?) of course Bill, Don and I have put our time in down there....and I'm beginning to think that you jinxed me with the fish gods...they were pissed at me for bringing a rookie! ;)

Post subject: Re: A score settled on the Savannah
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:12 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

Thanks for the invite Tom , a fine day on the water
with good folks. If I ever hit my rockin' chair this will
be a day I'll remember.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:39 pm 
Brown Trout

Yea, yea should have been here yesterday... glad to see what she can deliver when its good. Glad you guys had a fun day on the water.

PS You Suck!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:00 pm 
Brown Trout

Nice job guys, good looking smallies. Looking forward to the fall pff!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:18 pm 
Brown Trout

Damn fine report.... This really has me thinking about trying to make the 8 + hour drive for the fall PFF.

TC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:53 pm 
Brown Trout

My tardy pictures and words on this score settling report.

River stage and weather conditions were tolerable fer this time of year down here.

Overbrook & Billres at the put in.

Skunk off with a small Largemouth Bass.

The bite was ON. Caught plenty small to medium fish.

Enjoyed the scenery and company.

Heard a holler from Bill.

I did manage to get one fat 15" Smallie in the yak. Thanks to Bill fer the
gifted Gurgler...
Just fer Kyle there is a barley pop and some leg in the picture...

overbrook wrote:
Bill and Don had moved on down toward the picnic area, so I tried to catch up.....Don't ask me what they were doing ...Ain't none of my buisness....I'm an open minded kind of guy and very tolerant!

At one point it looked like they were giving each other a big man hug....I just figured they were celebrating a good catch?? We moved on down further....

Tom, that was the end of successful negotiation of the "stream side" price of 1 (one) proven fish catchin' Gurgler. Cost me all of 1 (one) barley pop (Beats the hell outta JT's $14 streamside prices).

overbrook wrote:
including this pig...which I thought at first was a good two pound smallie...man these guys fight hard for thier size!!

Overbrook, you can quote me on this... That is one helluva stream caught Redeye Bass right there.

Was a grand day on the water!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:04 am 
Brown Trout

croaker wrote:

Was a grand day on the water!!!

That it was! I did'nt get to see that pig......I just know that everytime I looked, one of you guys had a bent rod! I also see you guys tried a variety of flies....as I mentioned.....I tied on that one grey wiggle minnow and after landing a couple of nice fish without getting broke off....I was'nt messing with that knot!

I'll get ya some white wiggle minnows done up soon and send em' down....just PM me your addy again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:59 am 
Brown Trout

Helluva Day, Yawl
Great report and great photos
What was the biggest smallie ? 3 lbs ?
Thanks for sharing

JT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:32 pm 
Brook Trout

Nice fishin guys...man I need to get on the water...I haven't been smallie fishing all year. Noli has been so fickle this year with stained to muddy water all summer it seems like.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:50 pm 
Brown Trout

JT,

The biggest Smallie I caught was measured at 15" and weighed 1.9lbs. The fish in the pic I took of Bills was at least 17" and easily over 3 lbs.

That Redeye Overbrook caught is in the 2 lb. range. Redeye of a lifetime for most folks...

swamp boy (with Smallies an hour from the house)

:mrgreen: