southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Savannah River Rapids 5/13/13...
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:31 pm 
Brown Trout

Met up with Overbrook who had caught a few on sinkin' flys a couple a days earlier on this stretch.

Got to the put in and I got a good laugh out of him when I slid my fat ass offa the kayak into neck deep water at the dock. Here's a picture of him with his back to me laughin' his ass after I got out of the shoe sucking mud and back on the yak:

He got a small LM Bass not long after that. After several hours of flingin' sinkin' flys, using mono leader, sink tip lines and full sinkin' head of LC-13 without a bite. Decided that ifn I'm gonna get skunked I wernt gonna wear my arm out doin' it. Picked up the 5 wt rigged with a Stealth Bomber. Had a few small ones smack the size #6 B10S hook and they couldn't get it in their mouth.

Finally got the skunk off:

Just down from here:

Overbrook a couple a hours later with his back to me still giggling:

Lost a small SM Bass a little upstream from here:

Picked these up just downstream:

Wound up with 5-6 small Redbreasts.
The wind was blowin' about 3 times faster than the forecast. The bites were far between.
I feel sure laughin'Brook has some pictures to add.

Had a good time inspite of ourselves...

Post subject: Re: Savannah River Rapids 5/13/13...
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:55 pm 
Brown Trout

that is nice Don. Im am looking forward for another float in the Savannah. If you guys put something together with over a week ahead to plan let me know and I will probably make it...

Can I be the "Frigging Puerto Rican" here?!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:02 pm 
Brown Trout

Yup....It was a rollercoaster of good and bad...thats fer sure! As I was on my way home I got a ticket for being overweight....can you believe that....me overweight?? Got up fri. morning and headed out with the wife to meet up with Peter and made a quick stop at wallyworld to pick up some PFD's and whistles....I figured I had avoided a ticket long enough and did'nt wanna be paying two if we got checked....Got on the water with the wife and Peter ....

it was a little slow but we managed a few....

I think both Peter and I ended up with about a half dozen decent fish and a few small ones each, the wife caught a decent redeye and a brim or two....she did well floating her first time and she said she enjoyed it. We got to the take out and the PO_PO was waiting for us....he asked to see our life vests and Peter showed his...the wife started to lift hers and then he looked at me and asked me to take mine all the way out from under the seat.....I had bought the square throwables and apparently you have to have a wearable....so he called me over to the ramp where he said he was gonna write the ticket for the lowest amount he could....then he proceeds to tell me "I'll do this quickly and quietly so I don't embarrass you in front of your friends" and I thought..."Dude....I'm not embarassed....your the one being a **** " Then Peter came over and tried to get me jammed up even worse...Thanks Peter! LOL I learned a long time ago....just stay quiet and if there is any arguing to be done....do it in court.

So on to Sunday....I met up with 01Pilot and another friend Dr. Rich Chesser

again....it was Dr. Rich's first time out in a toon....gettin his sea legs....

Dr. Rich with a small one.....

and a gar.....

I caught about the same amount as fri. maybe even one or two more.....

on flies like this....

and the wiggle minnow usually gets a few....

all in all not a stellar day...not a bad day.

then monday I get up to meet Croaker....stopped for gas ....

I should have got it in North Augusta where it was $3.02 . Put air in a slightly low tire that had been that way forever....figured I better do it before it goes flat....then met Don at the takeout....Gave Don a jump....and we headed up to the put in......not a sight you wanna see at 8AM.....

just before he took a cold plunge.....

And it was cold as hell! the wind blew most of the day...and it was a chilly brisk wind...even in the afternoon. I thought it was gonna start off right when I caught a nice little largemouth on Josh's Bart-o-minnow....

but that was it for most of the rest of the day.....one little smallie on this....

looked pretty sexy in the water.....and the little guy that also thought it looked sexy....

I was ready to call it quits around 2 in the afternoon....but Don was hellbent on catching a few, course it had been a while since he had been out....so I'm not knocking him..... I just tried to enjoy the ride.....

Got down to the takeout and tried to drag the raft up on the trailer myself and ripped a 6" gash thru the tube and bladder. Oh....did I mention that when I got up this morning the tire that I had put a little air in was totally flat now!

All in all....it still beat the heck out of being cooped up in the truck. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:48 am 
Smallmouth Bass

overbrook wrote:
As I was on my way home I got a ticket for being overweight....can you believe that....me overweight??

You? Overweight? Man you're skinny as a rail! Obviously I've been lucky and although many have called me fat, I haven't gotten a ticket yet.

Great pictures from both of you. Makes me lust after a trip myself.

wilhelm

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:49 pm 
Brown Trout

You did good, Tom. You put Don in the bad spots?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:05 am 
Brown Trout

5xTippett wrote:
You put Don in the bad spots?

No ! Don knows most of my honey holes.....its JFey I like to mess with. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:58 pm 
Brown Trout

La_Trucha wrote:
that is nice Don. Im am looking forward for another float in the Savannah. If you guys put something together with over a week ahead to plan let me know and I will probably make it...

Fernando,

Sundays are usually good as we aren't open. Until Garrett starts classes
again late August, Monday-Thursday are doable with a day or two notice so he
can mind the store while I go fishin'... 8-)

Anyone else that is within and a couple a hours of the Savannah River or Saluda
River and interested in a float trip let me know...

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:06 pm 
Brown Trout

La_Trucha wrote:

Nando....I got some chores to do around the house which is why I wont be making Shady Valley :roll: .....the next weekend that looks promising for me would be June 22-23 ....theres a full moon that weekend :D I'll hollar at ya as the time gets closer and see if ya wanna fish that weekend....we'll probably try to put together a full blown get-together later in the fall.