southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Another day, another pond....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:57 pm 
Brown Trout

Things have been pretty quiet around here recently, so I thought I'd put in a minor fishing report.

This past Thur, July 3, I had the chance to go fishing on a local farm pond with some friends. Nothing special, but good company and a nice location. Before a band of thunderstorms blew through, shortly after noon, we had a pretty good day of fishing. The pond, I'm told, had bream, bass, crappie and catfish.

I can't say about the crappie, but I did manage a few of the others. I decided to fish a popper-dropper rig, with a size 12 olive squirrel leach as the dropper. I have been having fair success with that on warm water. I figured the leach looked enough like a dragon fly nymph to get some bream to hit. After a bit, though, I switched to a Chernobyl Ant on top, as nothing had hit the popper.

Well, I did catch a few small bream, some on the ant, some on the leach, but then I tagged into something a whole lot bigger! After a good 5 minute fight, (it just seemed like 10) I managed to land this:

Before the lightning chased us off, I managed to land 2 more cats almost as big. I also caught 5 or 6 seven inch bass, and a dozen small bluegill. My last fish of the day was a mutant bluegill that must have gone 12". Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of him, as my camera batteries went dead about 1/2 way through the outing.

After I got home, I changed batteries and took a picture of what's left of the fly that did most of the damage. All 3 cats took the leach.

I was thinking, at first, that I could just retie the leach, but then I saw that the hook was starting to straighten. Too bad, but at least I can reuse the bead.

Post subject: Re: Another day, another pond....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:57 am 
Brown Trout

Damn --- A close to 12 inch bluegill. That is a hellacious gill and I would be back fishing in that pond for sure ASAP

Good looking catfish also. Puts a strain on your fly pole for sure :mrgreen:

JT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:57 pm 
Brook Trout

Way to go Paul! If you've got 12" BG in that pond, I know you'll be back. Can we have a PFF there? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:05 pm 
Brown Trout

12" gill for sure will put a wiggle in the pole. Glad to see you enjoying retirement Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:18 pm 
Brown Trout

OK, maybe it was only 11.5".... It was the biggest bluegill I've ever seen. It was so big and so fat that it was distorted. The back humped so far over the skull it gave him an eyebrow. I couldn't get my hand around it and had to lip it to get the hook out. I knew my camera was dead, but I didn't think to measure it against my rod ... duh.... After I released the fish, someone piped up, "You know, in NC, a 1 1/2 pound bream qualifies for a citation?"

Unfortunately, this outing was by special invitation, and we were only allowed to keep the catfish. If I get the chance, though, I'll definitely go back, and if I get another one that big, I will find a way to document it.