southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Beetle testing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:35 pm 
Brown Trout

I had a little time to kill today, so I hopped in the john boat and paddled around my pond. I decided to test my new beetles. I changed my foam, feathers, and a couple of other things the last of October and wanted to test them. Final exams will be in late April or early May on the Smith, unless Dean calls me with a beetle report before then. I figured it was a little early to catch anything on top but what the heck. I caught 7 decent bream on my first 7 casts. I fished for about an hour and caught about a dozen nice sized bream. This is good news for Orvis(I switched to their foam). Good news for Revlon fingernail polish(you will have to figure that one out for yourself.) Bad news for waterfowl in general (I shall whack ducks with more enthsiasm next year.) I caught all of them on the same beetle and it was still in good working order. That Orvis foam hangs in there pretty dern good. My old foam was good for about 5 or 6 fish and then it fell apart. It is too much trouble to change beetles when they are biting, especially with my lack of close up vision. Anyway I figure the bream will keep me sane, or close to it until I can attack the trout with some regularity. I was hoping to see a Grass Carp but those suckers did not show up.

Post subject: Re: Beetle testing
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:14 am 
Brown Trout

Nub,

Glad to hear that you had a chance to test some of your new beetle patterns. Sure sign that winter is on the way out. Better days ahead soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:31 pm 
Brown Trout

"Better Days ahead"" Hope to hell so. Fished Holston lake today with a spinning rod and caught 1 fish and it was a rainbow trout on a crank bait.

I talked to a guy on the lake today who was slow trolling 8 rods with live bait. He said that he had not had a bite in 2 days. Here's You Sign !!!!!!!!!!!! I put the boat on tha trailer and came home.

Damn, I am tired of fishing for trout :evil: :evil:

Stoneman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:06 pm 
Brown Trout

Stoneman,

You've got it all wrong my friend. I've been here on the flat dirt this week catching bluegills, crappie, warmouth, white perch and some big lips. I'm about to go nuts....yep...my Bride doesn't know it yet but I'm packing up and heading back to the hills first thing in the morning. Can't wait to see some crystal clear water again.