southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Two New Days
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:44 am 
Rainbow Trout

We headed out early Sunday, on the main stem of the New, trying to beat the crowd (and Disco if he was going to fish this stretch). Water conditions looked great and we slid the canoes into the river. Had one smallie hit topwater before we even shoved off. That was an omen for the rest of the day and smallies were cooperative. Most fish in the 11-14 inch range with a couple at 16-17 and most on topwater...chartreuse, white etc. My buddy threw an articulated black and white thing that I would have been embarassed to tie on...but the fish loved it.

On Monday we launced the canoes even earlier on the S. Fork. Fishing was decent but not as good as Sunday and fish ran smaller. Added a yellow foam slider to the mix and that seemed to perk things up a little bit.

I needed to get off the river a earlier that day...but the lure of one more fish was keeping us casting... Then, over 40 bright yellow tubes and another dozen rafts, canoes and kayaks appeared coming downriver. That made the decision to call it a day even easier.