southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: another azz whoopin on the Savahnna
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:04 pm 
Brown Trout

I got there around 9:30 this morning....started gearing up.....and there was some dude lookin like he was casing the parking lot....I was a little worried how I was gonna get my wallet out and into the trunk without him seeing.....then I realized I forgot my tippet :x So I shot over to Rivers&Glen picked up some 3X and a half dozen yellow and chartruese Miss Prissy's.
I got out on the water and started getting hits right off.....a couple of decent ones too....but they either kept coming off the hook....and two or three broke me off ( had another one run me up under a dang rock again....I could'nt even turn him in the current.) After gettin beaten by about a dozen fish I finally switched over to a crease fly and did land this Largemouth.....

from there I worked my way up to big fish hole....Bill knows the one... I fished the lower side with a popper,a zonker,Dr. Death and a black rabbit thingie....nothin.....I moved down and around to the top side of the run and started making casts with another crease fly and had another huge fish roll up on it....he did it two or three times....I made another cast to the same spot and sure enough again he boiled the water...this time I paused for a second or two and watched my line move sideways...reared back and tried to put the hellacious hookset on him.....the rod doubled completely over and then pop! There's a dangum monster living in that stretch...and one of these days I'm gonna get a picture of him with a fly stuck in his jaw!!!
I beat the water all around there....then moved way down stream....and began to work my way across to the islands that divides the river....I had a few more redeyes and what was probably a good pound to pound and a half largemouth on again....but again....lost every one of them but this guy.....

I worked over to the far side of the river and while fishing some big flat holes....spotted a gar....cast out to him....and he hit my zonker....but could'nt get hung up.....fished a little more and spotted another.....this time I actually had him going for a few seconds...then whooop....fly came unbuttoned.....it was pretty much the story of the whole day :cry:
had enough hits to make it a good day....just could'nt seem to stay connected with them :(

had one other fish...not sure...but it looked like a big catfish.....I threw my popper out and it landed about two ft from him....and spooked it....it boiled in the water and was very dark colored...almost black....pretty good size too...been seeing some strange stuff there....but thats why I like river fishin....never know what your gonna get into.
Saw a small group of deer again...about 6 of them and an eagle....had a helicopter ( small bubble copter) buzz me....about 30 ft above me....I could actually see what the guy looked like flying it!
Decided that I did'nt wanna take a chance on getting too far gone and getting dark on me....plus my ole' legs were gettin tired,back hurt etc. all you ole' farts know what I'm talkin about....so I called it quits for another day.....don't know wether to call it good or bad??? :?

Post subject: Re: another azz whoopin on the Savahnna
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:01 pm 
Brown Trout

Thanks fer the report!!!

don

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:06 am 
Brown Trout

Any day on the water is a good one :)

TC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:19 am 
Brown Trout

Sounds like a nice day in pursuit of em.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:44 am 
Brown Trout

Darn good trip fer sure,but the number of lost fish also surprises me. Of course,we all loose more fish in running water than we do in flat water.

What weight rod ?
I also fish a really fast action (stiff) rod in running water which helps with the hookset and getting a few more to hand

JT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:45 am 
Smallmouth Bass

Good deal OB , I'm gonna take a stiff 9 wgt and 20 lb tippet next time I get to go to that hole . I couldn't move that fish with an 8 and it didn't last long

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:09 am 
Brown Trout

Stone-Man wrote:
Darn good trip fer sure,but the number of lost fish also surprises me. Of course,we all loose more fish in running water than we do in flat water.

What weight rod ?
I also fish a really fast action (stiff) rod in running water which helps with the hookset and getting a few more to hand

JT

JT I was using a Sage D2 kind of a slow action 7Wt.... most of the fish lost were on small Miss prissy poppers....I would have them on for 10-15 seconds...and it was like they would just spit it out?? I always lose one here and there....but this was abnormal.....I lost a dozen and a half fish at least! some were good fish ....like I said a pound to a pound and a half...but most were average redeyes 8"-10" I hate to blame it on the poppers....I'm really not sure what the heck the problem was.

Bill....seriously! take a big rod and some heavy tippet....this is like the third time I've hooked that fish and lost him...and I'm almost sure its the same dang fish! I did see a gar in that run too...but I really think this is a 5lb+ bass! ...I've almost always hooked him in the seam between the slower water on the upper side and the fast water on the lower side...about a thrid of the way up the run....where you can see some riffles from the big boulders out in the pool....if all that makes sense? Stop by Rivers and Glen and pick up a few of thier smaller crease flies...I like the grey and white, and the blue and white...but the fella there says he does well wioth the perch color too.....mine were homemade...and I used a crappy epoxy and most of mine are already coming apart....I gotta get me some z-poxy and make some more! Thats what that big fish has hit every time...and I've also been gettin a few smaller bass on em' here and there.

I need to learn how to tie some of those rope flies too....I would'nt even mind landing one of those gar....they are a little over two ft...dark brown with spots and short nose. One other note....the fish seem to be out in the deeper open water....I'm not catching near as many fish behind the big rocks in current anymore.....I guess its a change in the season?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:23 am 
Brown Trout

You keep this up and I am going to have to roll over that way! I want to catch some of those red eyes anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:51 am 
Brown Trout

5xTippett wrote:
You keep this up and I am going to have to roll over that way! I want to catch some of those red eyes anyway.

Yeah yeah....you keep saying that! my only concern is that much of the time I'm in well over my belly button.....can you doggy paddle and cast a fly rod?? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:00 pm 
Brown Trout

I'll stand on your shoulders. If you turn loose every fish you hook, two seconds after hooking them, I might as well put you to good use. :lol: