southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A few hours on the shoals
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:26 pm 
Brown Trout

Well...its been a long couple of weeks on the road....and I've been thinking a lot about that big fish I've missed several times in the same spot....its haunting me :o ....I got in around 11 am and rushed to get my things together and head off to the river as I only had today and tommorow off and they are calling for cool temps and 100% chance of rain tommorow.
We've had some good showers recently so they've been running water....but as I crossed the river on the way home it did'nt look too bad....a little color but nothing like the chocalate milk of the New when it gets heavy rain. I got down to the shoals as fast as I could....got my bag out and the phone rings....thought it was the wife...but nope...it was Nub trying to hold me up :evil: The other issue was wether to wet wade or wear waders....I decided not be be a sissy....got down to the water...stepped in so far so good....same temp as all summer ....then I started to ease out and I noticed it was a bit deeper....where the water was to my knees was now to my waist and where it was to my waste was now to my chest....this could be a problem :? ....as I moved out into the water I also realized the current was much stronger....you pick up a foot you just about got swept off your feet....

I had hoped that with the stained water that my foam baitfish poppers would do well...but with the current it would be hard to fish much of anything..... I figured I'd start with a small popper thru the "shallow" areas on my way up to big fish hole....got no hits. Got to big fish hole and threw a baitfish popper....nothin....switched back to a small popper and threw over around some rocks and picked up this guy....

worked around for a while still nothing....went down stream where I could see some ledges of rock and got this guy...

tried the baitfish popper again....and threw a zonker for a while.....still nothing....things seem to be tapering off. I hope to hit it on one or two more nice days thru the winter....but i suspect it will be slow fishing till spring?? May have to give the Congaree a chance during cold water....more smallies there.....or fish the toilet for trout :roll:

looking forward to left behinds!! :D

Post subject: Re: A few hours on the shoals
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:06 pm 
Brown Trout

I have never caught a redeye on a fly rod! You are ahead of me! :o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:19 pm 
Brown Trout

I can't believe you went fishing and didn't invite me.....thought you were in Missouri :evil: .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:31 pm 
Brown Trout

River Man wrote:
I can't believe you went fishing and didn't invite me.....thought you were in Missouri :evil: .

I asked you several times....you kept whining about not having waders (too much of a sissy to wet wade) and no rods (even though I offered to loan ya one!) honestly pretty much last minute after looking at weather forecast. You still in Rembert? when you heading back?? I was offered an extra day by my DM....but am trying to stockpile time off for left behinds

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:10 pm 
Brown Trout

Yep...there's so much rain in the forecast that I'll be tieing up some flies tomorrow....I'll head back up north after the weather clears.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:24 am 
Smallmouth Bass

Crossed at Augusta yesterday evening , red mud , must have been a helluva rain upstream . Rarely muddies up .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:25 am 
Brown Trout

billres wrote:
Crossed at Augusta yesterday evening , red mud , must have been a helluva rain upstream . Rarely muddies up .

yup....when I was fishing I caught it in the slump of the generation even...the water was still fairly clear...just a little greenish and debris...but probably as soon as I left it went back up...I checked the flow last night...it went from 4000cfs when I was fishing (which was pretty fast) to 7500cfs Normal gauge in ft is less than a ft...while I was there it was about 2.5-3 ft and last night it went up to about 6 ft ....that means that shallow shin high water along the bank would have been up to about your nose or higher :lol: ....like I told ya it was at about my waist and could just about knock ya down! From my reckalekshun (yeah I know how to spell it) they tend to run a lot more water in the winter months...like the Saluda...they run water during the winter to draw the lakes down and then shut it off come spring to keep the water levels up for boaters and such.Still debating in my head how much time would be worth spending down there in the cold months...or wether to fish the toilet for trout??

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:50 am 
Brown Trout

Thomas, they are supposed to stock the Saluda in the next month or so. Also, the wildlife boys said the oxygen coming from the dam is supposed to be fixed. This is supposed to allow a whole lot more holdovers. There was supposed to have been a brown caught that was a little over 9 pounds in the last month or so. It might be worth checking out in December.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:26 am 
Brown Trout

5xTippett wrote:
Thomas, they are supposed to stock the Saluda in the next month or so. Also, the wildlife boys said the oxygen coming from the dam is supposed to be fixed. This is supposed to allow a whole lot more holdovers. There was supposed to have been a brown caught that was a little over 9 pounds in the last month or so. It might be worth checking out in December.

I appreciate the info Nub ....I was wondering when the next stocking would be....I've also heard numerous reports of some good size trout being caught on floats away from the wadable areas.Maybe one of these days I can get with someone and arrange to float it.