Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Little help...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:44 am 
Warpaint Shiner

If you have a moment:

Concerned anglers,

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC) is currently planning to rework the laws governing permit (Trachinotus falcatus). Many of you might be unaware that permit are still fished commercially in the state of Florida. While the limit for mature permit (over 20") is only two per day, the is NO harvest limits for fish under 20". Equally alarming, permit are still pursued with spearfishing tackle in federal water (just offshore). Since there are no federal laws concerning the harvest of permit, it is literally open season out there.

This is a great chance to protect the future of this species forever. The Key West and Lower Keys Fishing Guides Association supports the following law changes. We want the FWC to list permit as a gamefish, thus ending all commercial sale of the species. We also support mandating the permit fishery as catch and release only, with some provision (a stamp or tag system) for the harvest of one fish per day for those pursuing world records. Lastly, we want to see state regulations extended into federal waters to ensure the success of these law changes.

A few minutes or your time could help protect these fish. Any comment in support of these law changes will go a long way. Seriously, public comment plays a very large role in the decision making/law making process. Please, cut&paste and email the comment below to marine@myfwc.com or for those preferring more old fashioned methods, download/print and mail/fax the attachment to:

Division of Marine Fisheries Management
2590 Executive Ctr Circle E #201
Tallahassee, FL 32301
fax: 850 487-4847

Thank you very much for your time and please forward this to anyone you feel might be concerned,

Capt John O'Hearn
President
Key West & Lower Keys Fishing Guides Assc
jpohearn@hotmail.com

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cut and paste, write your name, enter "permit law changes" in the subject box.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FWC Commissioners,

In light of the proposed law changes for Permit (Trachinotus falcatus), I would like to voice my opinion. I support listing Permit as a gamefish, thus ending all commercial sale of the species.

I support the creation of a catch and release fishery for the species, with some provision (stamp or tag) for possessing one a day.

Lastly, I support the extension of State regulations into federal water to insure complete protection of the species. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Post subject: Re: Little help...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 am 
Warpaint Shiner

Would someone who still has access to SEFFF please copy this thread and post it over there? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:07 pm 
Brown Trout

Flat

Your guy really needs to get in touch with CCA- FL ..
CCA has no problem with looking politicians in the eye and splain'in it to them.

JT

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:08 am 
Warpaint Shiner

Stone-Man wrote:
Flat

Your guy really needs to get in touch with CCA- FL ..
CCA has no problem with looking politicians in the eye and splain'in it to them.

JT

JT,
Fla CCA has adopted the following stance regarding Permit Management:

A. PERMIT
1. CCA Florida recommends the following:
• Extend state regulations into federal waters
• No sale of any size permit
• Maintain current size, bag limit and gear restrictions

2. CCA Florida does not recommend.
• Catch and release only
• A tag program

The essential difference between the two positions is over the C & R status. Currently, there are no bag limits or gear restrictions in federal waters. By extending Florida regulations into federal waters, Florida bag limits and gear restrictions would apply. CCA also shares the goal of banning the commercial sale of Permit. The CCA does not support C&R for Permit only or the proposed kill tag program.

I think the Guides Association may be aking for the "whole ball of wax" in hopes of getting a compromise situation that lies somewhere in between. The main thrust of this is to prohibit the fishing/spearfishing of spawning permit, which generally occurs in federal waters.

Last edited by Flatlander on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:40 pm 
Brown Trout

The guides want snob fishing.

The CCA position is more reasonable and realistic. You get a lot further in life if you are reasonable ... just saying....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:29 pm 
Brown Trout

I do not know squat about permit. However, if it pertains to hunting or fishing, I am not in favor of more restrictive laws, unless there is a sound biological reason for it. Don't get mad at me, Malcolm, that is just the way I feel! :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:15 am 
Warpaint Shiner

phg wrote:
The guides want snob fishing.

The CCA position is more reasonable and realistic. You get a lot further in life if you are reasonable ... just saying....

PHG and 5X:
I would agree the CCA's position is more reasonable with respect to recreational anglers keeping fish. I don't have a problem with that. However, I don't see how asking for protection for Permit in Federal waters, where there is none, amounts to creating "snob fishing". I don't see how this creates a special access situation for a particular user group (ie fly fishermen). Maybe spear fishermen would have a beef, but I don't think they even think targeting permit aggregations is a good idea either. The commercial harvest is relatively low and the CCA is in favor of banning the sale of Permit. So how does granting one of the top gamefish in the world more protection amount to snobbery?

Look, if you talk to the old timers who fished in the Keys 30-40 years ago you hear stories about how bonefish, tarpon, and permit abounded on the flats. The bonefish fishery in the Keys is nothing compared to what it once was is Florida--now you have to go to the Bahamas to see those numbers and they're generally smaller fish. I'm not sure the Permit fishery is the same either to hear the stories. I'm of the opinion that it's better to protect it now while we still have it than it is to let it slip away before it's to late.

I'm surprised by the reaction this has gotten. These types of petitions get posted on these boards all the time and I've never seen them get questioned. People either sign or they don't and that's it. The petition got forwarded to me by an avid permit angler who fishes in a tournament I fish down in Florida, and I simply thought I'd pass it along for anyone who cared to support it. Frankly, I'm also a disappointed to hear the guides get bashed. I have had the pleasure of meeting quite a few Keys guides and I find them to be extremely good stewards of the resource.

Last edited by Flatlander on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:30 am 
Brown Trout

Malcolm, I wasn't bashing anybody. All I was saying was if there is a sound biological reason for it, I would be in favor. I am not much on rules for rules sake. I did not post this on the Blue Ridge because I did not want anybody thinking I might be agreeing with Trout-are Nuts! Take care. Ben

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:21 am 
Warpaint Shiner

Ben,
No offense taken here. I perfectly understand and respect both your and PHG's comment about being "reasonable".

However, I'm not sure I agree with Paul that this amounts to creating a "snob fishery".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:42 pm 
Brown Trout

Let's see if I can explain this.

For most anglers, it would be catch and release only.

If, however, you are a trophy fisherman (I understand that not all trophy fishermen are rich, but most are, at least relative to the rest of us), and are willing to hire a guide ($$$) to take you out, you can purchase a special permit ($$) that allows you to do what ordinary people are not allowed to do, which, of course gives you bragging rights if you are successful....

I'm sorry, that's the classic definition of a snob, and that makes it snob fishing. I cannot support special permits for the elite, no matter how you define 'elite'. Either everyone is allowed to keep a fish or two a day, or NO ONE is allowed to do so. Equality before the law!

I also agree with 5x, show me a sound biological reason for no harvest. Here in NC, declining fish stocks aren't because of fishermen, but because the state has allowed the marshes and estuaries to be trashed. No breeding grounds = no fish. Why do people have trouble understanding that?