southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Attempt for False Albacore on the Crystal Coast & Plan B
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:53 pm 
Brown Trout

This weekend, Flyvet and I ventured to the Crystal Coast for the elusive false albacore. It remained elusive. According to reports from the few (but much larger) boats that made it out, swells were over 10 feet. Small craft advisory and a touch of common sense kept us inshore.

With changed plans, I somehow managed to catch my first red fish on a fly rod that first afternoon. By all rights, however, it was Flyvet's fish to catch because I inadvertently threw my clouser (actually, his clouser, since I borrowed it) within a few feet of his. Fortunately he let me back in the boat the next day so all (or most) seems to be forgiven.

Saturday turned out to be what was probably the fish-catchingest day of my life. We anchored in some current between the grass beds, about 7 feet deep with a falling tide. After watching Flyvet catch 20 or so, I swallowed my pride and took a turn with his sink-tip line so I could release the skunk. (Flyvet moved to another of his rods with a more moderate sink tip). From there, we both proceeded to catch somewhere around 2 fish to every 3 cast until the water dropped to 4 feet and the tide went slack. We lost track of the doubles. The fish were small -- all but one under 14 inches -- but it was a hoot. Those fish had twice the fight I would expect from something that size.

Once we got in our groove, it appeared that we were outfishing several nearby boats throwing hardware and bait, as well. While I know that many of the fisherman with actual fishing skill have had that experience before, it was a first for me.

Post subject: Re: Attempt for False Albacore on the Crystal Coast & Plan B
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:14 am 
Brown Trout

Aaronsorry I missed your call...was at Left Behinds. Sorry to hear about the weather and waves....but glad ya had some fun with the trouts :D Redfish and Albies both are still on my list :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:21 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Aaron speaks the truth, we wore em out on Saturday. Tutti-frutti clousers got chewed on a bunch. We may have landed a hundred and much more if you include the long distance releases. Next time I will be sure to pack a 5 or 6 weight also. One of the most fun trips ever. Here is a photo of Aaron's redfish on Friday.
Allan

Attachments:
IMGP4904.JPG
IMGP4904.JPG [ 250.77 KB | Viewed 1650 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:44 am 
Rainbow Trout

The trout bite continues to be ridiculous. We were down on Wed and Thurs. Weather had improved and Albie action was pretty hot on the Eastside of Cape Lookout...but seas a tad rough. Thursday, Albies were scattered along the beaches of Atlantic and Shackleford and conditions in the lee of those islands was very mild. Forecast continues to be good for Albies due to the prevalence of bait. Trout seem to be just about everywhere and lots of good reports...