southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sharks....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:02 pm 
Brown Trout

Just got back from a week on Hilton Head Island. Could be a lot worse places to spend some time... It was a family trip, but did find time to get in some fishing. Fishing wise, it started out a bit rough as I got shut out on a bass pond. The water was pretty warm, but all I walked away with was some bit up feet from standing on an ant hill :o

Decided to head out with a guide who informed me I would be throwing flies to sharks and spanish mackerels. Didn't catch any spanish, but saw a few jumping around. The sharks and ladyfish were a bit more cooperative. Fished with Capt Cory Cunningham. He wasn't a pro at inshore flyfishing (and admitted it when I called), but new enough to put me on some fish and let me do the rest. Great dude to spend the day with, though and no complaints at all. Here are the highlights

This guy followed us all day, pretty cool to see him splashing around boatside

Another visitor

Looking for birds

Cast net to make a chum ball

Bonnet Head Shark to start the day

Caught a few black tips as well. Only got a pic of this one though. Several bit through the leader while we were landing them

Ladyfish also came to play. Man do they put up a fight!

It wasn't real sexy fly fishing. Nothing was working up top, so I ended up chucking a 10 wt with sinking line, but it worked. Ended the day trying to chase some reds at high tide, but with 20 knot winds and three ft waves, it wasn't productive( or safe!)

It was pretty cool to catch some sharks and feel how strong even the little ones were. Early in the season, a guide landed a 10 ft bull shark in the same vicinity where we were. In that same area, there were a bunch of people riding jet skis and water skiing :shock:

Post subject: Re: Sharks....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:52 pm 
Brown Trout

Grand pictures and tale!
Have caught many on spinnin' gear down here...
Been wantin' to try chumming up some small sharks
within fly casting range.

What kind of flys were y'all tossing?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:01 pm 
Brown Trout

Nothing all that fancy on the flies, had a few on a white 3/0 rabbit strip clouser and had some better luck on a bigger size 1/0 clouser I tied that had some yellow flashobou on it that kind of looked like a menhaden that I tied when I was messing around a while back. Pretty sure that the chum had em all wound up and they would have hit anything that resembled food. Didn't have much luck blind casting to likely holding areas. Key was the sinking line. Didn't get a strike until we moved to that. Spanish were on top, but they weren't interested. I'd post the fly, but there wasn't much left of it and I lost it towards the end of the day :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:21 am 
Brown Trout

What part of Hilton Head? Next time you go, I know a flat that is easy to get to and gets some reds on it when tide is 6.5-8 ft. Also, some land locked tarpon in one of the marsh ponds. Never got one of these on a fly but had them blow up on me one time and I just missed the hookset. We also had some good luck for sharks and rays in the surf.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:33 am 
Brown Trout

Sounds like you had a good time and that's what counts. I could, and have, fished for nothing but ladyfish for hours. A 3 lb ladyfish on a 5 or 6 wt is a treat. You mentioned the sharks biting through the leader. Were you using wire? And if you saw Spanish feeding, why do you think you had no takers?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:35 am 
Brown Trout

We stayed in Sea Pines and I think I know the marsh pond you speak of... ran out of time(and patience from my wife) about running all over fishing... The guide pointed out a wadeable flat near the Cross Island Bridge, but I will definately hit you up next time I head that way. These are the types of things that keep me up at night since I know it will be at least next summer before I am back :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:12 pm 
Brown Trout

I grew up catching ladyfish in the north wet land of PR and I can attest to their aggressiveness and fighting strength. Sounds like a not so bad trip!

Can I be the "Frigging Puerto Rican" here?!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:30 pm 
Brown Trout

No clue why the spanish wouldn't hit anything on top. We ever rigged a spinning rod(gasp) with some a live menhaden and let it swim around behind the boat with no luck, except a bird who tried to take off with it. We were using a wire leader also, but the process of getting a shark in the boat caused them to thrash around and the mono got caught in their teeth a few times.