southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: St. Simons, GA Late Fall/Early Winter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:29 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

A friend said I had been ignoring Kim's board. I have been so busy lately that I just haven't had time for the internet. With a few days off and wind over the water, here comes a report.

Late Summer and Fall provided us with over 20 days when we had tides high enough to chase red fish in the grass. The water stayed warm enough for them to tail until early November. Every time, except one which was on the back side of a strong cold front, we had numerous fish tailing on the high tide. Chasing "Bass in the Grass" is almost the most fun a person can have out of bed. Sam came down from Athens for the Georgia/Florida game (Go Dawgs) and a little fishing. He was rewarded with this eight pound red which slammed a kwan fly as well as a win by UGA.
(Sorry, I still can't figure out how to insert pictures so they show up so here are the links.)
My daughter visited from China and asked me to take her fishing. Here is the result:
ImageShe out fished me that day! Trout fishing will pick up as the water clears and the fish form tighter schools. You have to try more places this time of year, but when you find them, there will be a lot of them.

I had numerous trips on the low tide, and the fish were particularly cooperative. Here is Tim from Hendersonville enjoying an early Fall vacation:
and another one:
As the Fall progresses, the red fish will form large schools and the water will clear. Instead of casting to wakes and pushes, we will actually be able to cast to individual fish. You have to be accurate and stealthy, but the sight of a red charging your fly will get your blood rushing.

The fly that has been the trick since I started fishing this it summer is an original pattern I call the Purple Passion. I haven't had a chance to add it to my flies page on my web site, but there are tying directions on some of my fishing reports. http://www.flycastcharters.com/fishing-reports-2

https://picasaweb.google.com/1090175647 ... 9bZy5iteA#
I am still experimenting with the realistic shrimp fly, but I expect it will be a killer in the clearer water of fall.

If you get a chance, plan a trip down to the Golden Isles of Georgia and enjoy our mild winters and great winter time fishing.

Until next time, Tight lines, strip strike and practice the double haul

Post subject: Re: St. Simons, GA Late Fall/Early Winter
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:29 am 
Brown Trout

Looks like the place to be if I had the time. Good to hear from you Dave.
My best to the Family.Good to see your Daughter can still out fish you.
Happy Holidays Pal.

Don't forget about the trouts when your up this way.

Post subject: Re: St. Simons, GA Late Fall/Early Winter
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:55 pm 
Brown Trout

Nice update Dave. Good to hear from you. Keep the reports coming when you have time.

TC