southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Big changes proposed for how we manage the Smith Rriver
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:58 am 
Brown Trout

Big changes are being proposed for how we manage the Smith River fishery - Put Thursday, March 18th on your calendar to learn all about it.
We slipped our regular SRTU meeting date a couple of weeks to accommodate conflicts in our guest speakers schedule. This should be an important meeting to all who have an interest in the Smith River.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smith River Trout Unlimited will meet at Rania's Restaurant in uptown Martinsville, on Thursday, March 18, 2010, at 6:30pm. The program for the evening will feature Virginia DGIF Fisheries Biologist Scott Smith who will present recommendations to improve the Smith River trout fishery. We anticipate these recommendations will include proposals from DGIF for regulations changes on how trout are managed along the entire river. These regulation changes, if approved, would go into effect January 1, 2011. (This is a continuation of the December meeting where he presented findings based on recent sampling and studies)

You do not have to be a member of TU to attend our meetings.(You must be a member in order to vote on chapter business). Anyone who has an interest in the Smith River Fishery is encouraged to attend.

Rania's provides us with a meeting space with the expectation that the majority of attendees will purchase a meal. (Good food, moderate prices). Address is 147 E. Main St., Martinsville, VA 24112. It is in the historic district of Martinsville known as uptown as it sits on a hill.

For information contact Chapter Pres Shane Pinkston shane@southprintinc.com Secy Al Kittredge, (910) 868-6235 aakitt@earthlink.net or check our website for more details and directions. http://www.smithrivertu.com

Post subject: Re: Big changes proposed for how we manage the Smith Rriver
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:21 pm 
Brown Trout

I am planning on being there, Al!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:53 am 
Brown Trout

Virgina DGIF have formally posted the proposed Smith River regulation change for public comment - here is the link.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/regulation ... s.asp?id=2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:32 pm 
Brown Trout

sounds like a plan to me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:39 am 
Brown Trout

Bumping this to the top ;)

Be nice if we filled the back room at Rania's :o

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:59 am 
Brown Trout

The comment period is still open for all the changes proposed by DGIF. Some folks have let me know they are having a hard time location the proper page on the DGIF website. Here is link

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/regulations/comment2010/

Once you get there you still have to ID yourself and register. More pages open and you get to all the proposed changes. Scroll down and you see the ones pertaining to Smith River along with rational for proposed change. Make your comment and click off.

You can also comment on other changes and return for additional comments as many times as you like. If you click the "remember me" box you don't have to register on subsequent visits.