southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Proposed Increases in Virginia Licence Fees
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:11 pm 
Brown Trout

Hey guys and gals - Virginia is proposing to make a massive increase in license fees for non-residents (smaller one for residents as well). This is big and will effect us all. Makes me wonder what the eco-tourism folks will have to say as it flies in the face of what they are trying to do.

I have copied and pasted a thread that just appeared on Woolly's board.

Quote from: troutrus on Today at 15:05:07
There are some proposals to increase fees. If you fish and hunt Virginia as a non resident, you may want to offer input to these proposals.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/regulation ... AC=020-065

Thanks for the heads up Bob. We need to nip this one in the bud. If you guys have not seen the proposed increases you need to click on the link Bob provided. Take a look and then follow through with your comments.

Here is what I just wrote:

"WOW, are you out of your cotton picking minds. I can understand and tolerate the incremental $5 increases you started a few years ago but what you are proposing now will drive just about every non-resident sportsmen elsewhere.

I currently spend $286 to hunt and fish in Virgina. (Basic fish, Trout, Basic hunt, Big Game, Muzzleloader, Crossbow) Your proposal will increase that to $580 which is much more then I am willing to pay.

You probably also know that a great deal of your trout water is visited by non-resident fishermen who already spend $72 for that privilege. They also drop a lot of tourism money in the towns adjacent to the trout steams. An increase in fishing fees to $170 will "kill the Golden Goose" and communities that are just beginning to realize the benefits of eco-tourism will suffer"

Post subject: Re: Proposed Increases in Virginia Licence Fees
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:01 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

My comment sent to them:

Your proposal to raise non-resident license fees brings can be summed up in one word-asinine!

Having worked in tourism based economic development I can tell you both professionally and personally that your already overpriced nonresident licenses drive away potential users/customers and your economy suffers because of it.

Overpriced licenses insult visitors and drive them away. Why should I have to pay so much more than a resident when I am not even going to keep the fish? This causes and emotional reaction- revulsion, rather that a logical reaction.

For me a trip to Virginia to fish and run errands isn't much more difficult than doing it in eastern Kentucky where I live. If the fishing were better in VA and the license affordable, I would spend significantly more money in your state- enough to offset the higher license fee.

Raising license fees will be counter productive, you will sell significantly fewer licenses and your state will have lost the economic opportunity/local spending those users represent.

Lower your nonresident license fee to $50 or less (including trout stamp and other normal user charges) and your state will be better off.

Stuart Burrill

Ps. The same is true for hunters and hunting licenses.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:08 am 
Brown Trout

VA license fee increase is still in the news - Two feature stories in the Martinsville Bulletin today

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/art ... m?ID=27128

http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/art ... m?ID=27127

I know most of you are behind us when it comes to fighting these proposed increases. We need more then your moral support. Many of you have emailed and written letters to DGIF and for that we saw thanks - but we also know human nature and some of you are just sitting on your hands, to those we urge you to take a few moments to enter your comments on the DGIF comment page - We can turn this around.

If you have a contact with a newspaper, radio station or political figure you should make them aware of this as well.

Here is the link for comments http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/regulation ... AC=020-065 I think you have to register first by going to DGIF home page and following link on top right and side. Link to DGIF home page is http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:54 pm 
Brown Trout

Posted on the VDGF site a few weeks ago,

My comments were basically as follows: though I do not fish In Va very much, it would be nice to do so without it costing a small fortune. I pretty much said that for the occassional Va fisherman such as myself , they are pricing me out of the state. I could support a modest increase, if those dollars were used specifically to support Trout Waters and enforcement. As it is now, I will be bypassing Va for my fishing trips.

Funny-
They wanted all my info, I never even got an auto "thanks for your comments" response.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:23 am 
Brown Trout

Looks like our pleas for common sense and sanity were heard. I can't find anything official yet but from today's column in Roanoke Times http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/billcochran/ it appears the proposed $50 increase was cut back to $11 and if I read it correctly the increase does not apply to all of the separate categories of licenses.

My thanks to all who joined me in pushing back

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:17 pm 
Brown Trout

That's still a pretty stiff increase. We still may have to rethink our out of state license expenditures....