southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Sun May 24, 2020 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Organization Help Needed
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:49 pm 
Brown Trout

I am stuck at home today. Mr. mom duty and tree trimmers over. It's a beautiful day to boot :cry:

So to save some sort positive to fishing I decided to go thru my fly boxes and bags while my son was watching a movie.

I need some advice or at least a fresh perspective.

How do you all organize your flies? By season, water type, species, style of fishing (nymph or streamer), specific water or something I am missing? What do you throw out (give away)?

Suggestions appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Organization Help Needed
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:30 pm 
Brown Trout

teachrtec wrote:
I am stuck at home today. Mr. mom duty and tree trimmers over. It's a beautiful day to boot :cry:

So to save some sort positive to fishing I decided to go thru my fly boxes and bags while my son was watching a movie.

I need some advice or at least a fresh perspective.

How do you all organize your flies? By season, water type, species, style of fishing (nymph or streamer), specific water or something I am missing? What do you throw out (give away)?

Suggestions appreciated.

Brad.....I think the best I've seen yet is Riverman's system....keeping bulk flies in the plano storage boxes or whatever....then simply organizing a box or two....and in his case usually a bunch of small containers of various flies for where ever you happen to be off to....whenever neccessary...return those to the larger storage boxes and rebuild a new arsenal for the next trip. you may also have some boxes already made up for usual fishing trips.....I'm sure you know what he ALWAYS has with him on the SOHO...then he probably adds and subtracts accordingly to the weather or season. its confounding for sure....but I think I'm gonna try to follow his lead on that.......just don't tell him I've learned anything from him....you know how he gets a big head! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:36 pm 
Brown Trout

My system -- put all the trout fly boxes that will fit into your 25 year old Columbia vest and stagger around with the 50 pound weight.

In summer -- put all the panfish, largemouth, and smallie boxes that will fit into your 25 year old Columbia vest and stagger around with the 50 pound weight.

:D :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:41 pm 
Brown Trout

Divided my fishing into 4 categories. Trout, Tail water, Lake and Pond, and Warm water river.

Gonna do two things first. Take out all the seriously loser flies and put surplus flies in bulk boxes.

Last edited by teachrtec on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:47 pm 
Brown Trout

teachrtec wrote:
Take out all the seriously looser flies

Brad....there really are no "loser" flies.....just less desirable.....I know what ya mean though....as I learn to tie better....and thieve more flies from Supa's and Smokeys fly boxes.....I can cull out some of the stuff I don't have as much confidence in.....but give them to somebody who will at least try to put them to good use. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:57 pm 
Rainbow Trout

I have one box for bass flies and the rest for trout. I keep one box of terrestrials for summer fishing. I then have various boxes for caddis, stimulators, etc. I use CF fly boxes on the stream and change the contents seasonally. The nymphs are on the foam pads and stay there year round. The dries are kept on the little wire threaders and those I reload after or before each trip depending on the season and what is hatching. I can keep about 200 flies in a CF box and that usually covers everything I need for mtn streams. Once I get down there and Marty drags me off to the SOHO I imagine I'll have to come up with a box just for those flies too. I tend to be a minimalist fisherman and concentrate on only about a half dozen flies in various sizes. In the winter I can usually get by with green and pink weenies--bead heads of course :D --Larry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:20 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Brad I just came in from outside, and you are correct it is a beautiful day here in our neighborhood. I would guess everyone has gone thru this before. My suggestion would have been separate them as you have as to what type of fishing trout/bass/salt. I only do trout so it is much easier for me. Next what do you use to carry the flies in while fishing. As PHil said yo can end up with hundreds of little go to boxes and containers. Often you end up dropping them in the water and as you age you have no idea which of the pockets the one you need is in. What has worked great for me is a Richardson fly box. Yea,I know if you fall you will smash your chest.In almost 50 years I have not fallen face first .I have one with four compartments. Two are for drys and two have foam for streamers nymphs etc. For the foam compartments you can easily put 30/40 or more. Almost no limit for the drys but how many do you really need? There is easily room for over 100 in each compartment It is strapped to you so it is not going to fall in. Go to the new dollar general in town as I would guess they have all sorts of great plastic containers for storing the not so good or extras. Fro the S Ho I almost tie what I need before going up. I almost failed to mention if you forget the box (I have) you are screwed unless you are with a kind friend. dave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:23 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

My boxes are pretty much organized around the tailwaters I fish.
2 boxes of sulphur dries & emergers
1 box bwo dries & emergers
1 Caddis box
2 Nymph boxes
1 Midge box
1 Midge dries
1 Box of Beadhead Nymphs
1 Box Terrestrials

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:32 pm 
Brown Trout

I'm about 90% done with the organizing and culling process. Seem to slow down every fly group I come to. Lots of memories in those boxes. Lots of great folks who have guided me and fished thru a variety of patterns.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:23 pm 
Brown Trout

Brad,
look in the box and throw out every fly that You have not thrown in the last 3 years.
Just get cold and heavy handed. Get rid of the Zug Bugs and Otter flys. Yeah, they will catch the stupid trout, but they won't catch the smart ones.

JT