southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hot weather--boring works
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:58 pm 
Brown Trout

Yesterday morning, early, and the coolest weather we've had in the past few weeks that I've avoided fishing in the pond, I went down with two rods rigged the same: 3x tippet w/ #12 natural elk hair caddis for the stimulator w/ 2' of 4x dropped off and a soft hackle hare's ear tied on.

The first rod I cast out and put the rod down. Just let the rig sit there. The second rod I cast next to the 1st and twitched, with still intervals, the flies in. I cast on both sides of rod # 1 and continued with the twitching, until the stimulator dived under on rod # 1. Pulled in a 'gill hooked on the dropper fly.

This process (Little sloppy to call an experiment.) happened until I'd caught 7 'gills. 6 were caught on the dropper fly of rod # 1--the rig that didn't move; just sat there. Rod # 2, using the 'traditional' method of casting out and slowly working the flies back, caught 1 'gill and it hit the stimulator.

Would this work on most ponds/lakes during a heat wave? I have no clue, but what works on my pond is obvious. I've had more exciting experiences, but the 'cast out and let the flies do nothing' method, though boring, worked for me. Comments welcome.

Post subject: Re: Hot weather--boring works
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:45 am 
Brook Trout

Cool report. 'Dead-drift During the Dog Days' is what some of us practice on the smallies in a nearby river...although it doesn't seem to work on a neighboring smallie river! :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:32 pm 
Brown Trout

You must have been talking to JT.....that's the way he fishes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:18 am 
Brown Trout

River Man wrote:
You must have been talking to JT.....that's the way he fishes.

Sadly, since the Bream-Catching Legend moved to some remote holler in the Tennessee, I've not communicated much with His Blue-gillness. He's had a standing invite to fish the pregnant waters of Lake Geezer for years. By the way, Riverman, why does your avatar show you taking a whiz off a stream rock?

And nice smallie on yours, JK. Oh, sorry, guy :oops: ...I was referring to the small mouth bass.

Last edited by rivergeezer on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:49 am 
Brown Trout

I tried your technique on a small pond last weekend. I used a black soft hackle and had the most luck letting it sit in the water with an occasional lift of the rod tip. I got some strikes just letting it sit there, but not as much as when I gave it an occasional flick. My experiment was much less scientific as I only used one fly rod and did not record the results. Also, the bluegills used in the experiment were normal sized and not the beefy variety that reside in Lake Geezer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:04 am 
Brown Trout

rivergeezer wrote:
Riverman, why does your avatar show you taking a whiz off a stream rock?

And it looks like its running down his britches leg! :o

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:47 am 
Brown Trout

overbrook wrote:
rivergeezer wrote:

And it looks like its running down his britches leg! :o

Chuckle--good observation. Better than a Chris Matthews "Thrill running up my leg", and far more believable. :roll:

JFey wrote:
I tried your technique on a small pond last weekend. I used a black soft hackle and had the most luck letting it sit in the water with an occasional lift of the rod tip. I got some strikes just letting it sit there, but not as much as when I gave it an occasional flick. My experiment was much less scientific as I only used one fly rod and did not record the results. Also, the bluegills used in the experiment were normal sized and not the beefy variety that reside in Lake Geezer.

Ah, Jeff...master of the occasional flick. This morning I went down to the pond, caught 10 or so, but only 2 were larger than my hand. This tells me I need to invite my 'fishing for food' friend to come out and catch a sheet rock bucket full of 'undersized bream'. This is a late summer/early fall necessary tradition at Lake Geezer. I do enjoy your avatar, Jeff. Looks like there could be grayling in that secret stream, eh? And some trigger happy bozo with a can of bear spray! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:40 am 
Brown Trout

I am sorry, I am not aware of any stream you can catch grayling and large cutts out of. Must be the lingering affects of the bear spray :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:34 pm 
Brown Trout

Jack and Billres found a grayling stream, but they wouldn't divulge the location. One thing I do know, Grayling Creek wasn't it....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:04 pm 
Brook Trout

Geezer, I'm too 'small-minded' to even figure out what you were referring to...but while we're on avatars, yours has got me wondering if your a fan of this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa6bI_95G9I

'..not sure if you're a boy or a girl' & 'Your face is a mess!' :? :P