southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Forney (Fourney?) Ck. suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:57 am 
Brook Trout

A friend from SC has invited me to go on a fishing trip. Road To Nowhere, Forney Crik. Our gear will be packed in/out (horses/mules?) by someone while we hike. Sounds like a drop camp kinda thing. It's somewhere near Fontana Lake, I think. Has anyone ever heard of this? I know very little about the southeast and I would appreciate some help. What gear should I take? Any advice on bugs? Anything else? PM if necessary. Thanks in advance and y'all have a good one.

Post subject: Re: Forney (Fourney?) Ck. suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:10 pm 
Brown Trout

Steve, you are going to a great native stream in the Smokies. It gets less fishing pressure than other streams in the National Park because the access is harder. No roads. I would take a 7' 3-weight rod, or the closest thing you have to that. I might even use a 7' 6" 5-weight to fire casts under the rhododendrons. 7-8 foot 5X leaders.
It's a beautiful small freestone stream with small (because they are wild) fish. Lots of frisky rainbows in the 7-12" range, with some bigger ones possible. The flies depend on what month you are going, so please give us some more info. You'll have a blast backcountry camping/fishing -- especially if someone else is hauling in your gear!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:25 pm 
Brook Trout

Thanks Phil - I think we'll be leaving in mid-September. Wild fish, huh? Sounds like a good time. I suppose terrestrials or attractors, maybe small nymphs. Or both. My smallest rod is a 9' #4. I'm not geared up for really small stuff. I'll have to remedy that sometime. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:11 pm 
Brown Trout

I've fished a similar stream with an 8' 4wt. It can be done, but you have some problems occasionally. Not trying to disagree with Phil, just sayin. Olive caddis, yellow humpies, ants, pheasant tails, and hares ears have all been good to me in the park. Maybe even some early october caddis. It's a beautiful spot.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 pm 
Brown Trout

Steve....not trying to argue with Fleming....but go ahead and invest in a 6 1/2' or 7 ft 2wt or 3wt rod....you'll be glad you did! Years ago I went to Jones Gap St. park not knowing what to expect...I took a 9ft. rod...could'nt really even fish :( . it does'nt have to be anything expensive...neither does the reel...we're talking fish that weigh ounces here. PM me an addy....I have a few flies I'd like ya to take along! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

I'm from the school of using a longer rod on the small freestone streams...the longer rod with a couple feet of line out and leader on the water makes for better drifts in the faster currents. Plus easier mending, also the stream is fairly open. Forney is one of my favorite park streams and as Phil said lots of feisty little bows. Yellow and orange Palmers ;) Be sure to take advantage of the hanging cables to secure your food and hygiene products.

Kim 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:47 pm 
Brown Trout

mtsteveoh wrote:
My smallest rod is a 9' #4. I'm not geared up for really small stuff.

In tight places, one can choke up on the fly rod...
Grab your 9' 4wt a handspan or two above the cork.
Voila, a temporary 8' rod.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:08 am 
Brook Trout

Thanks all! I think I can get my hands on a short, light stick before take-off. Then I can take long/short rods and see which is best for me. The only time I ever blue-lined, I found it difficult--close quarters! Short leaders, lotsa roll casting and tip mends. Thanks again. Sounds like bear country, Kim.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:15 am 
Brown Trout

Steve, it's not bears that Kim is talking about -- believe it or not, it's mice. They get into everything they can at Smokies back country campsites. Also, raccoons and skunks. Bears are usually no longer a problem . If a bear has been invading a back country site, the rangers will tell you that you cannot camp there.

You are gonna have a great time. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:44 pm 
Brown Trout

overbrook wrote:
Steve....not trying to argue with Fleming....:D

Hey, one of my favorite rods is a 6'6" 2wt. They are a blast. From experience, having a spare rod is a good idea. I lost the top 2 sections of a 4 piece rod on day 1 of a 3 day trip. luckily for me a guy in the camp found it for me.