southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anyone flown with a fly rod recently?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:59 pm 
Brown Trout

Has anyone out there carried a fly rod with them when they've flown this summer? In the past, there was no problem with carrying it on as a "personal item", but the Delta WEB site makes it sound like they don't want you to do that anymore.

Any one with first hand experience this summer?

Post subject: Re: Anyone flown with a fly rod recently?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:15 pm 
Brown Trout

Why do you ask... going somewhere? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:49 pm 
Rainbow Trout

There were folks on my UA flight last week with rods. I'd call Delta and see what they say. I'm certain you can get the rod through TSA security.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:07 am 
Brook Trout

I'd be careful if I was you, The way you look, you might get strip searched :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:05 am 
Brown Trout

TSA regs allow fly rods as carryon's, but leave the details up to the airline. I don't really want to ask, because the official answer may well be "no!!!!!", but the reality may be different. I want to know from others, who have flown this summer, if they got any static or push back. In the past it's been no problem at all. Rod tubes fit into the dead space at the back of the overheads anyway, and really take no extra space.

Jack, yes, I'm getting sick and tired of sitting around the house while everyone else gets to go fishing. So I'm going to join Al K. in Alaska, next week, and chase some bodacious rainbows down on the Kenai River. I'm told that some of those 'bows require an 8wt to handle them. That'll make those 20" Madison River 'bows look like minnows!

Steve, I got a hair cut, trimmed the beard short and lost some weight. I almost look respectable....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:53 am 
Brown Trout

Paul if the TSA agents allow you through you should be allright. I didn't see anything on Delta's sight other then the size restrictions. I assume your taking a 4p rod and not a two. Only problem I ever had was flying out of Brazil. The guy wouldn't let me take the rods on and thought he was telling me I had to leave them, didn't speak English. All set to take about 2 grand worth of rods out of the case and crack them over my knee when he said to come with him and he took me to the bagage check in. The person who checked the case in said, "you know these will probably get lost". They made it to Miami and then I took them on as carry on to my next flight back. If your still worried take a duffle bag type suit case with you big enough to hold the rods. If you have to check them in throw them in the bag. If not take the bag on as your MAN PURSE, with nothing in it it will fit anywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:57 am 
Brown Trout

Bob, I like that. I'll have to mull that over. The carry on restriction is a max of 45" total length, width and height. My fishing duffel is 49".

I did dig deeper on the Delta site, though, and found fishing rods under Fragile & Bulky Items which can be carried on. I guess I'm OK.

Having to pay extra for the first checked bag still burns me, though, and now we're expected to pay extra for meals and snacks as well....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:21 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

phg wrote:
Having to pay extra for the first checked bag still burns me, though, and now we're expected to pay extra for meals and snacks as well....

Thats one reason to fly Southwest. Saw a lot rods as I went through Denver this summer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:44 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

I just flew back from MT on Delta last week. There were numerous rod tubes on board including my 2. I actually saw some one with 8' 2 piece. You should have no problem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:24 pm 
Brown Trout

Anyone flown with a fly rod recently?>

I tried a couple of times but the darn thing kept affecting my down stroke and I couldn't get the proper lift, so I gave it up.