southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Tuck...little help please
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:26 pm 
Rainbow Trout

My youngest daughter is going to visit WCU at the end of the month, and I get to tote her up there from the coast.

I have managed to "negotiate" two hours, Saturday morning, to fish. With her gyrations, will probably be closer to 30 minutes.

I fly fished on the Tuck from 64-70, but it has been (ah sheet, cant believe it)...40 years! Wow!!!

Anyway, could use a little help with what is going on and a general place to cast the long rod. Again, my time will be limited but I would like to hit the water in a fairly decent spot.

Don't need a honey hole, but general areas. They say I will not recognize Cullowhee, and I am afraid I will not recognize Tuck, either.

Any help appreciated.

lln

Post subject: Re: The Tuck...little help please
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:32 pm 
Brown Trout

Jim,
get on River road in Dillsborro

go to Dillsboro (Exit 81 off of US 74) and turn left. Go to the bottom of the hill pass through the stop light and make a left onto North River Road.

Follow River Road into Webster. You will pull away from the river for a bit. At the stop sign make a right and go over the hill ( ¼ mile) At the Webster bridge you can turn left onto South River Road or cross the bridge ( there will be a large church and parking lot at the end of the bridge) ( Directly under the bridge is a good spot) turn left and fish the other side of the river. Dillard road is a dirt road that bears off of the main road and follows along the river for a half mile to a mile or so. I have fished that area extensively and always caught fish. In my opinion that is the best stretch of the Tuck. To leave from there, follow South River road to the end. It will dead end into a 4 lane, Highway 107. Turn left on 107 and follow 107 into Sylva/ cullowhee. Turn right on Grindstaff Cove Road and you are back to 29/74.

Regardless of which side you choose, fish up river of the islands there in Webster. If you use the satellite view on Google maps you can see all of these land marks and roads I have laid out.

Ho[e that helps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:12 am 
Brown Trout

LLN wrote:
They say I will not recognize Cullowhee, and I am afraid I will not recognize Tuck, either.

Any help appreciated.

lln

I graduated Dec '96. You won't recognize it, I barely do. They have done a lot of work. If you are coming from Cullowhee on 107, make a left onto South River Road as soon as you cross the Tuck. It's across from where the old River road out of Cullowhee comes out. Anything downstream of the 107 bridge till you get to Dillsboro is DH. Just pick a spot and pull off the road, there are plenty of pull offs there. Wear em out for me. :D The section along the dirt road is my favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:48 am 
Brown Trout

The only thing you have to worry about is the generation schedule. There are a few places that get too deep and the current gets too swift, but, I think the places DD mentioned are fishable during generation. Practically the whole river is wade-able when they aren't generating. The area in front of the water treatment plant has been good to me in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:11 pm 
Brown Trout

I finished my Master over there in 1992. There was no DH back then. Probably a good thing for my grades.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:45 pm 
Brown Trout

Jim-
knowing you as well as I do.... DO NOT fish that stretch during generation. The water comes up fast and the bottom is very uneven .... Streamer was across river from me several years ago and it went from shin deep to above the waist quickly.... IF they turn the turbines on.. get out and look for a high spot close to shore to get back in to fish from.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:17 am 
Brown Trout

The release schedule is here.

http://www.duke-energy.com/lakes/nantah ... leases.asp

It takes a couple of hours to get down to Webster, not exactly sure though. If one fork is generating it's still wadable in sections if you're careful. if they are both on, throw streamers from the bank, or close to it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:06 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Thanks guys. The place you described sounds like one of the areas I used to fish. I was afraid that road had been four laned. I know the islands of which you speak. Thanks again, I am looking forward to "it."

lln