southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A chance to save some land please read
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:02 pm 
Brown Trout

We need your help this week to protect 8000 acres in Transylvania County for the public trust. We’re not asking for money – just letters of support (email or regular mail) to the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.

Eight additional miles of Delayed Harvest waters could be established, along
with many additional miles of hatchery supported and wild trout water.

A pivotal meeting of the NC Wildlife Resource Commissioners is taking place on November 4th. The Commissioners need to hear that the hunters and anglers of North Carolina want the WRC to establish a game land on the East Fork Headwaters of the French Broad. We need the commissioners to receive as many sincerely written letters as possible by November 3, 2010.

Individually written notes are more effective than form letters. The more you personalize it, the better!

Please write to the commissioners at the address in the following link. If you only write one letter, please write to the District 9 Commissioner R. Martin Lewis, listed below.

http://www.saveeastforkheadwaters.com/commission.php

R. Martin Lewis
1091 Hendersonville Road
Asheville , NC 28803
martin@lewisrealestatenc.com

Post subject: Re: A chance to save some land please read
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:13 pm 
Brown Trout

For those who need help getting started

Dear Mr. Lewis,

[Introduce yourself here. Where do you live? Fish? Why do you care about protecting trout fisheries?]

I am writing you today to urge the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission to commit to ownership of the East Fork Headwaters property with the purpose of creating an important and unique public game land for North Carolina and the region. Protecting the East Fork Headwaters will not only protect miles of native and wild trout habitat, but it will also support the positive economic impact of mountain trout angling, as well as clean water supplies for the region.

I have been an enthusiastic supporter of the Wildlife Resources Commission over the years. This summer, TU members in the region raised over $30,000 to secure the Big Creek Lodge property on the North Mills River. Due to thier efforts and that of the NCWRC there is now land protection staff on the ground in Western North Carolina to support this project.

Please join me in supporting the protection of our region’s coldwater fisheries, wildlife and sporting heritage. Please vote to support the East Fork Headwaters project.

Sincerely,

[Your Name Here]
[Your town of residence, State]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:48 pm 
Brown Trout

Letter sent.
Even though initially the state has no out-of-pocket expense, the stumbling block might be the day to day expenses the state incurs should we win this thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:50 pm 
Brown Trout

Based on the response I recieved, the expense surrounding the management of the land is the hold-up, as Peddler also indicated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:25 am 
Rainbow Trout

Good letter, Bob. I sent mine in and hope it will make a difference. Been out of contact for a few days but haven't heard anything.

lln