southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Yawl Listen up... input needed on Lyin and Tyin
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:15 am 
Brown Trout

As many of you know the Fly fishing show is being held in Raleigh this year.

The straw bosses have been kicking around ideas as to what to do with lying and tying.

We did not plan early enough for it to be in conjunction with the event being held in Asheville and it would have interfered with Left Behinds as well.

There was a large contingent of attendees that came from Charlotte and surrounding areas. There were also many who traveled and stayed over night, which is why the Hotel allowed us to use the room free of charge.

The idea that has been kicked about the most, is maybe having it in conjunction with the Rod Building Show in High Point. February 27 and 28. This would still allow a "central" point for all those who travel without making it too far. It would give folks something to do during the day rather than just staying at the Hotel all day. It would allow for a "change of pace" over the fly show which has been going down hill for years.

I guess we need your input... what are your thoughts

1_ Hold lying and tying in conjunction with the Fly show in Raleigh
2- Hold L&T in conjunction with the Rod building show
3-Hold it in Charlotte around the same time frame and not worry about a fishing show
4-Forget about L&T all together
5- some other idea.

We really need some input on this, and we really need a committment. If we hold it at a Hotel, they are going to expect us to fill some reservations, so a firm count of folks willing to stay will be needed. If you say you are willing to stay, you will be expected to show up. Since Jule and I have organized this event the past few years we do not want to put great efforts into securing a venue only to cancel out at the last minute. This causes a lot of problems.

Please feel free to make suggestions and chime in. These events belong to everybody, the straw bosses just do the heavy lifting and organizing.

Thanks for your input. I would say we need to have a clear decision sometime in the next 2 weeks so we can start planning after the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Post subject: Re: Yawl Listen up... input needed on Lyin and Tyin
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:39 am 
Warpaint Shiner

Just an fyi, the NHL hockey all stay game is the same weekend as the the fly fishing show and literally next door to the fairgrounds. Hotels close to the venue may be an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:19 am 
Brook Trout

I was hoping there would be some kind of group gathering in Raleigh so I could stay at the same motel as everyone else. I think I'll be tying at the show and was going to at least spend Saturday night in Raleigh, looks like I might need to explore making my own reservations somewhere :?:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:16 am 
Brown Trout

OK,...

First, the hotel we used in Charlotte was not very close to the Fly Fishing Show venue. It was a long drive in, and I'm sure we could find a hotel on the opposite side of Raleigh, maybe off Capitol Blvd., that would give us a good rate, and we would still be closer than we were in Charlotte.

Without seeing a schedule of events for the NHL All-Star weekend, it's difficult to say what impact that's going to have on the Fly Fishing Show. For the most part, though, I suspect there won't be much interference. Most of the NHL activities at the fairgrounds will likely be in the evening, and the FF Show will be mornings to early afternoon.

Second, as a rod builder, I would have no problem with L&T being held in conjunction with the Rod Building Show instead. If the Charlotte contingent isn't willing to come to Raleigh, then maybe that's the best solution.

Third, I'm not likely to drive to Charlotte just for L&T. Even in those years when I didn't actually attend the show, the show brought people to town that I wanted to see.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:49 am 
Brown Trout

My 2 cents would be to have it conjunction with the rodbuilding show. It would be a nice change of pace and I like the central location as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:54 pm 
Brown Trout

My first choice would be to go with the rod building show in Charlotte.....Honestly....I just think we'd have a better attendance if the show stays near Charlotte....heck...I've kicked around the idea of learning to build graphite rods for a while....I might even go to that.

I also would'nt rule out the idea of going to Raliegh....yeah...its an extra 2 hrs drive or more for me...but I've been to lyin & Tyin for the last 4 years or so and have always enjoyed it...and don't have any intentions of stopping now.

As long as there was going to be a decent number of people coming ...I'm pretty much in regardless.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:44 pm 
Brown Trout

overbrook wrote:
My first choice would be to go with the rod building show in Charlotte.....Honestly....I just think we'd have a better attendance if the show stays near Charlotte....heck...I've kicked around the idea of learning to build graphite rods for a while....I might even go to that.

I also would'nt rule out the idea of going to Raliegh....yeah...its an extra 2 hrs drive or more for me...but I've been to lyin & Tyin for the last 4 years or so and have always enjoyed it...and don't have any intentions of stopping now.

As long as there was going to be a decent number of people coming ...I'm pretty much in regardless.

Tom.....The Rod Building Show is in High Point, not in Charlotte.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:25 pm 
Brown Trout

Think you should have it in the summertime till you southern boys learn how to handle some snow. Actually had somebody tell me they couldn't come over to the hotel because they was scared to drive in the snow, don't want to say who it was but the name is almost like "flywomen". Don't think I'll be going down this year but seems that when its with the show you have a lot of folks attending because they are working a booth, don't think you would have that with the rod show. Then you have the others who say the show always stinks so that may not be a bigger draw then the rod show. Guess what I'm saying is why not alternate it. I would love to see the rod show, something new, and then do the show the following year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:19 pm 
Brown Trout

#1. i like the idea of the rod show in High Point as the #1 one option.
#2. Raleigh during fly show
#3. Charlotte, same end of Jan. Early Feb time frame.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:47 pm 
Brown Trout

Streamer wrote:
overbrook wrote:

Tom.....The Rod Building Show is in High Point, not in Charlotte.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

OOPs :o High Point is fine too. :D