southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: S.Holston River in VA ???
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:44 pm 
Brown Trout

Colin has a friend who has suggested that they meet on the S. Holston River in VA. I know nothing about that at all unless you count the old hatchery at Bueller, where I did fish with Ralph once. Where else might he be talking about? How about access? Is it a worthwhile trip?

Thanks for any tips/assistance.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

Post subject: Re: S.Holston River in VA ???
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:56 am 
Brook Trout

Hi Streamer, he must be talking about the South Fork of the Holston River. Like you, I've fished the area around the hatchery once, but Harry Murray goes on to say much more about the upper reaches of the stream in his book Virginia Blue Ribbon Streams. I've never fished it, so can't say what it's like from experience, but I'll paraphrase what he has to say. The book was published in 2000 so I would think the info is still somewhat reliable.

He describes the upper reaches of the stream around where the Appalachian Trail crosses it as taking on a spring creek nature with many springs that cool the stream in the summer and keep it warmer in winter. He also describes it as having a tight tree canopy that's best suited to 7 1/2 - 8' rod. He recommends size 10 - 12 streamers, Olives and midges. This upper section lies west of Sugar Grove along Rt 670.

If he goes I would definitely be interested in hearing about the experience. Oh, and you might shoot Bugman a message as well. I seem to remember reading a post of his at some point about this stream, so he may have some info.

Hope that helps.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:19 am 
Rainbow Trout

well, Harry Murray is somewhat of a woolly-bugger-spinoff-tyin retr....well I guess I better be nice, but he sure does turn a lot of woolly-buggers into his 'own' patterns...and...

Anyway, yeah, go fish around Buller, and bring a short rod. Explore above & below the hatchery. There are some nice fish in there! I think there is a catch & release only section with a lot of nice fish. Good GD hatch in the spring but don't tell Shane I told you....There are a lot of snakes around there so be careful if you fish when it's warm...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:10 am 
Brook Trout

Quote:
well, Harry Murray is somewhat of a woolly-bugger-spinoff-tyin retr....well I guess I better be nice, but he sure does turn a lot of woolly-buggers into his 'own' patterns...and...

Yeah, old Harry is fond of trying to make a buck, that's for sure. That being said, I've found the info in his books to be pretty on target. The SNP book is especially good for anyone wanting to get started in the Park.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:19 am 
Brown Trout

Jule, that's one of my regular stops during spring PFF.

The South Fork near the fish hatchery, and downstream, is a lot like the Davidson. Lots of pigs, C&R, weekend crowds, etc., etc. Upstream from the fish hatchery is Spec. Regs. I fished it with SouthernFly a couple of years ago. We parked at the hatchery and hiked up the creek. Good mix of runs and plunge pools. Then, of course, there's the section that's been referred to near the Appalachian Trail. That's wild trout water. Where the river actually crosses the trail is decent sized water, and not too steep a gradient. The stream continues up into the national forest for several miles. The wild section does get a fair bit of pressure, though, and it ain't easy fishing.

Access is reasonable, and it ain't no secret stream, so don't expect stupid easy fish in any of the sections. Check the VA DeLorme, p23.