southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: ICRB Show
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:32 am 
Smallmouth Bass

BoCash3 wrote:
...experiment with varnish finishes on a piece of scrap rod...
...finally satisfied with my varnish-work...

Bo,
Them plastic rod builders don't use varnish anymore. Use something called Flex Goat I think.

I did my first fly rod in '84 and used varnish on the wraps. By the time I started by second, Flex Coat was on the market and no one used varnish anymore. Varnish was a little easier since you didn't have to turn it all night while it dried to prevent sagging. If it wasn't put on too thick, it was just a couple hours while watch TV.

wilhelm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:40 pm 
Brown Trout

If you choose to jump right into the rod you want, just be prepared to cut off some wraps. My first one came out very nice. But I had to cut several wraps off of guides and redid the wrap at the grip twice.

I've got a powered rod wrapper/dryer. I actually suggest wrapping the guide by turning the rod with your hand. A powered wrapper will mess you up in a hurry. With a hand wrapper you can catch your mistake and fix it before you have 10 wraps laid down. The powered wrapper came in handy when I used it like a lathe to turn down the front end of my grip. If you are interested in borrowing it let me know.

IIRC, If you get the smaller spools of wrapping thread you can use a fly tying bobbin to wrap them.

Single foot guides are a little more difficult to wrap. You have to cut your tape really thin to attach them and start wrapping on the same foot. With double foot you can tape one and wrap one. That said, I still prefer single foot.

Even if the guide says you don't have to file it, you still do. I used some diamond sharpening stones to work mine down when needed.

You have much better help closer to you. But if I can help let me know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:11 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

fleming13 wrote:
Single foot guides are a little more difficult to wrap. You have to cut your tape really thin to attach them and start wrapping on the same foot. With double foot you can tape one and wrap one. That said, I still prefer single foot.

Every time I wrap a rod with single foot guides I swear I'm never going to do that again. Then on my next build I buy the single foot guides. There is just something about them...

I also use a motor when applying finish and drying, but hand wrap the guides. I find it easier to backup when necessary, and you can wrap plenty fast without a power winder. Especially if it is for one rod, and not in a production shop. I documented a build about 2 years ago and tried to point out that it is not necessary to have all the equipment. I have made soup cans work as rod holders to dry the finish (turning by hand), some folks use books for a thread tensioner. Some even sit on the thread to keep it tensioned. The most important things for me when building are a good razor blade and a lot of small strips of masking tape!

And if it for a first build, it really is easier on a 6 weight blank than a 2. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:19 pm 
Brown Trout

So I am diving into rod making with a 5'6" 2 piece 4wt as my debut rod. (It is a Batson blank, rated medium-fast. Might need a 5 wt line for close quarters but we will see). It will be a good tool for one particular stream I want to re-visit. Maybe a bit light for a first rod but it will allow me to exercise some of my vocabulary words that I don't get to use so often.

I appreciate everyone's comments - I was looking at some of the wrapping machines before I got back to this thread, thinking it would be easier but I guess not.

Allan, I might take you up on borrowing your gear. Plus, I still have some beads for you.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:05 pm 
Brown Trout

Good stuff. I've been looking at those blanks for some time. I will be interested in seeing the finished project. Just need to finish the three blanks sitting on my desk :oops: I can see a S Charlotte Lying, Tying and RodBuilding in the future(SCLTRB) :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:05 pm 
Brown Trout

Good stuff. I think you will like building them. I've been looking at those blanks for some time. I will be interested in seeing the finished project. Just need to finish the three blanks sitting on my desk :oops: I can see a S Charlotte Lying, Tying and RodBuilding in the future(SCLTRB) :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:30 pm 
Brown Trout

JFey wrote:
Good stuff. I think you will like building them. I've been looking at those blanks for some time. I will be interested in seeing the finished project. Just need to finish the three blanks sitting on my desk :oops: I can see a S Charlotte Lying, Tying and RodBuilding in the future(SCLTRB) :D

Sounds like a plan - with two more folding tables, we could accommodate up to 8 builders. I wonder how many rod wrapping contraptions might be available for use? Did the CFFC rod building class use anything special to wrap?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:36 am 
Brown Trout

Christensen wrote:
JFey wrote:

Sounds like a plan - with two more folding tables, we could accommodate up to 8 builders. I wonder how many rod wrapping contraptions might be available for use? Did the CFFC rod building class use anything special to wrap?

For simply wrapping just cut 2 V's into the top edges of a box to hold the blank. Run the thread under a couple books to apply pressure. You don't need anything fancy to wrap. It sure makes drying easier though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:21 am 
Brown Trout

Christensen wrote:

Gary made several nice rod wrapping jigs, I believe the CFFC has 10 or so. I actually bought one from him. Let me know if you want to use it (either to wrap with or copy) and I will get it to you.

Cam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:26 am 
Brown Trout

mtsteveoh wrote:
Don't mean to change the subject, but I'm looking to build a REALLY good 8 1/2' rod, med-fast action. Anyone know where I can find one? A kit, maybe.

Steve,

Dan Craft or Hook and Hackle alond with Mudhole will have what your looking for.

Feather Craft sells kits too. For that matter, all the suppliers of blanks usually sell some sort of kits as well.

Do a search for fly rod kits and see what comes up.

Ralph :D