southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Composite Sole Wading Boots
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:54 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

Anybody have any tips on buying these newfangle wading boots? I have been thinking about getting a pair, but I don't have a clue if they work better than felt. I have seen adds for sticky rubber, vibrum, etc. but thought I would ask the experts for advice before I shell out $100. bucks, or so, for new treads.
Any help will be appreciated, QZ

Post subject: Re: Composite Sole Wading Boots
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Not familiar with em Coos...

Kim 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:57 am 
Warpaint Shiner

Hey man,
I wouldn't buy anything new besides the new rubber soles. States (I know you can't wear felt in Maryland anymore) are starting to ban felt soles. It is kind of one of those things that we just have to deal with. I have heard some people say they are the best I have heard others say they suck. Heard you have to change the way you walk on rocks a little. Although I have heard everyone loves them for when you are not inthe river. They don't slide on leaves and other debris on the rivers edge. Good luck with your choice and let us know what you think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:39 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

The only ones I have experience with are Bean Aquastealths, but I doubt they are much different than the others. My mantra for them is "great on the Green, murder on the Madison". They work well on clean wet rocks or on moss. If you are wading, however, on alga or silt you are taking your life in your hands. I couldn't recommend them as an everyday boot for around here at all. And you didn't ask, but I'll volunteer that imo this anti-felt business is mass hysteria and will eventually blow over.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:35 am 
Brown Trout

"And you didn't ask, but I'll volunteer that imo this anti-felt business is mass hysteria and will eventually blow over." I agree. Didymo, in my humble opinion, is everywhere it is going to go. At least one biologist agrees with me. Unless one of you boys knows something I don't, in the Southeast it is only found in tailwaters. In the tailwaters it is generally found in the upper reaches where the water is the coldest. If I am wrong please st me straight. In the meantime I am going to stick with felt, because I am getting older and I bruise somewhat easier and I don't heal as fast.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:27 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Having read many review of rubber sole boots, none of them equal felt. Orvis does not even sell them without studs because they don't feel the un-studded ones are good enough. So if you are going to get them, definitely get them studded.

Read Preston's article in Fly Fishing and Tying Journal, Winter 2010, pg. 18. Preston tested "Old Felt Soled" Weinbrenners against New Rubber Soled Simms, Chota, Cloudveil, Korkers, Patagonia, & LL Bean boots. Preston tested multiple boots and not only the Simms boots, and in that regard, is a more comprehensive test of available rubber soled boots. Although I believe the the conditions of the test favored the new rubber soles, none of them were a good as the USED WEINBRENNERS. In his article Preston stated, "It is still my, admittedly subjective opinion, that except under the cleanest (winter and cold) water conditions, rubber soles, do not yet provide the same traction as felt soles."

Tom Rosenbauer of Orvis has also made the statement in a podcast that the rubber soles are not yet the equal of felt. He says in a March 5, 2010 podcast, Quote, "We have been working on alternative soles for many, many, many years. When rubber first came out we tested them and the pretty much unanimous opinion here at Orvis was that they're awful, they're dangerous… Rubber soles are wonderful on sand, they're wonderful on gravel, they are great on ice and snow, they are good on almost everything but slippery rocks, and slippery rocks are what a lot of wade on all day long. There are some new rubber compounds out there, Vibram has a compound that most of us are using for rubber soles that is better than previous generations of rubber, but still, if anyone tells you that their rubber soled wading boot grips as well as felt on slippery rocks THEY ARE LYING TO YOU! They haven't used it enough. The only way to insure that rubber is as effective as felt is to have it studded. All of the rubber soled wading boots we well at Orvis come pre-studded… We made that stand that we are NOT going to sell a pair of rubber soled wading boots without studs."

Another site, Trout Predator had a post from an individual that did his own test of Simms rubber soled boots vs felt. You can read his assessment as well as comments I made about the design of these boots here:

http://www.troutpredator.info/simms-products/wading-shoe-soles-the-last-word/

Here's an internet site that tested and deemed rubber soles without studs not to be the equal of felt without studs. If you are getting rubber soled boots, get them studded. But them studded felts would still be superior to the studded rubber soles.

http://troutunderground.com/2009/07/06/ ... w-chapter/

Now here's the problem. Rubber soled boots and waders and even flies can carry single celled invasive such as Didymo. Rubber soled boots and Gortex waders are not fabric free. Plus there is NO SINGLE CHEMICAL METHOD OF DECONTAMINATION that is APPROVED by boot and wader manufacturers.

I was a wading boot tester for Weinbrenner, so I use a separate set of Weinbrenner Gary Borger felt soled boots for the Madison River in Montana and my home waters. Separate sets of boots are better than a single pair of rubber soled boots for preventing invasives.

Once I need boots without felt, I buy a set of rubber soles with studs and use them only for the states where they are required. I suspect we will see more slip and falls in those states.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:43 am 
Warpaint Shiner

Thanks for the replies. I talked to Bo Cash at Tablerock Angler, Monday. He sells both felt and composite.
He felt that in order for the composite to not transfer the rock snot spores, they need to address the shoe construction. He pointed out the cordura uppers on some of the composite models, as well as the laces and grommets could carry the undesirables.
I'm thinking maybe the Corkers with interchangable soles might be my next boot. At least I'll have the option of felt available if I don't like sticky rubber. QZ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:32 am 
Warpaint Shiner

I picked up a pair of the orvis ones last fall and have been pretty impressed. I've found plenty of instances when they outperform felt, and plenty when it's the other way around. For instance, I wish I had these things back when I was fishing the SNP a lot, as it makes hiking to and from the stream much, much easier. A lot of it also has to do with what particular stream you're fishing and what the bottom's like. As has been said, the studs are a must. You have to kind of retrain yourself to making sure you wade so that the studs are in contact with rock at all times.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:48 am 
Brown Trout

QZ
I bought the interchangeable soles last year in MI.
The first two times I wore the felt to the rock snot down here I went in. First time I've fallen in in 20 years.You have to change the way you walk and while standing in the water you have to be a alert on that first step.As far as the boot it's self it's the most comfortable pair I've owned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:38 am 
Brown Trout

They'll have to pry my studded felt soled boots off my dead body. Henheheh.
I've tried the composite soled boots. They suck.