southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Advsory for WY & MT snowpack and fishing conditions.
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:25 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Toon Gal and I did our annual go to Yellowstone to see where things are.

We are a week late this year. Ni CO for daughter graduation last week.

We could not get into Yellowstone over the East Enterence as there was an avelanche on Sylvan Pass Thursday that closed the pass and it will not open until Monday.

We got into the park over Colter Pass into cooke city and the NE Enterence.

Checked the Clarks fork of the Yellowstone, soda Butte Creek, the Lamar and the lower end of Slough Creek as well as the yellowstone, Gardner river and other tributaries.

A long drive to get home so went out of the park through Mammoth. Did not go to madison junction lake or old Faithful.

First thing there is ALOT OF SNOW IN THE PARK AND THE MOUNTAINS,

We are well over 140% and it is just starting to melt. Temps were 50's

At pelican Creek Campground enterence there was easily 3 feet on the ground. Colter pass over 12 ft of pack. Beartooth is plowed about 10 miles on the WY side and to the top on the Red Lodge side. There is alot of SNOW up there. Probably double last year. all of soda Butte down to the Confluence with the lamar is snow packed. The South facing hills have melted out below 7000 ft. Above there, i should have brought the snow shoes.

Based on last year and the year before in cooke city, for this time of year there the snow should be melted out of the lower lamar valley.

The Boulder and Stillwater are up and dirty. As is the Yellowstone. They are going to et higher. These rivers are probably dirty from the 2 - 5 inches of rain that fell last Tuesday and Wednesday. It was snowing about 8000 ft with 2 ft in the Beartooths.

Run off is starting and will go to the end of June.

July is going to fish really great. and everything is going to be really green.

A really good Blue Wing Olive hatch in the dirty yellowstone in gardiner. size 20 from what was on the windshield and caught inside the truck.

Not of these rivers have really taken off from runoff but they have come up and are dirty.

Any one coming out in june should be ready for high water and hope it doesn't warm up really fast. It has been a wet and cool spring so far. We had snow in lovell monday morning. Not much but a dusting. The sugar beet planting is a month behind.

I was able to get to the turn off to Lilly Lake but didn't being the chains so didn't go in. looks like we will be fishing lakes for awhile.

A really pretty day but not much available roadside to park in and most of the Bison are still around Mamoth. A few bulls up in the lamar. one Black bear.

Any of you come out give me a shout & if it fits, i ll try and fish with ya.

Irish

Post subject: Re: Advsory for WY & MT snowpack and fishing conditions.
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:36 pm 
Brown Trout

Woah!!! That is some report. Thanks for all the detail.

That is a strange and foreign land you are describing to this southerner. I would like to see all that you describe.....some day.....

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:56 pm 
Brown Trout

Dave:
I was in Jackson this last week and got to go into the park today. Came in the south entrance and there is also a lot of snow down that way. Made it up to Canyon Junction before the road was closed, cut west and then south through Old Faithful. Roads were clear but a lot of snow,drifts up to 15 ft.

The Snake is up and dirty all the way down to Jackson, the Gibbon and Firehole were also up, plus most of the feeder streams that I crossed were up and dirty. They were talking flood warning in Jackson Hole if the snow melts to fast.
GJ

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 12:43 pm 
Brook Trout

3 days in a row above 80, then a warm rain. Look out, Loretta! Head fer high ground, pard!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:56 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

Here's more from the Trib. http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/article_6bd3d87a-d3b0-5c57-9fc1-71369ec621d2.html