southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Thingamabobbers" Suck.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:07 pm 
Brown Trout

Just got back from a trip trying "Thingamabobbers" again over small to medium nymphs. They suck. They float -- yes -- but they also crimp your leader with a memory crimp that will never go away if ya change the indicator depth of nymph. They also scare wild fish. Never again on wild streams. If I need an indicator, I'll stick with the Loon strike putty. Yes, it's messy, but you can just put a little bit on yer leader as conditions warrant, and still see it even if it sinks.

That's what I have to say about that.

Post subject: Re: "Thingamabobbers" Suck.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:12 pm 
Brown Trout

Phil I agree about them. The $1 per isn't cool. Lost 5 one day on the SoHo. Hagan's has some foam ball that the same size, don't kink the leader, and .10 per. Recommend them highly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:27 pm 
Brown Trout

Phil send me your address

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:16 pm 
Brown Trout

Actually, if you put the thingamabobber on a thread based furled leader, it works great! The furled leader doesn't kink, and the TB won't slide.

I agree, though, that they aren't a good choice for wild fish. Out west, when you are fishing with 3' to 4' of leader below the strike indicator, they work great. If, however, I'm fishing with only 12" to 18" of tippet below the strike indicator, I use a pinch of bio-strike. In clear water, like Phil, I don't even mind if it sinks, as long as I can see it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:01 pm 
Brown Trout

phg wrote:
Actually, if you put the thingamabobber on a thread based furled leader, it works great! The furled leader doesn't kink, and the TB won't slide.

I agree, though, that they aren't a good choice for wild fish. Out west, when you are fishing with 3' to 4' of leader below the strike indicator, they work great. If, however, I'm fishing with only 12" to 18" of tippet below the strike indicator, I use a pinch of bio-strike. In clear water, like Phil, I don't even mind if it sinks, as long as I can see it.

I was fishing stonefly nymphs in high fast water pockets and runs in the Smokies. The smallest Thingabobber 4-5 feet above the leader and it still spooked fish. :shock:
I'll go back to a really little mini-football of strike putty that sinks, but I can still follow underwater. I only have one eye, and it don't work too good anymore, but I can still do that most of the time. :)

Boy, the Smokies kicked my butt camp/fish this time. It's not as easy as it used to be..... I caught fish, but weather conditions didn't co-operate at all. It wasn't stellar.
More later when I get done with the yard work I neglected and some business stuff I neglected for days. I can barely move presently. I'll post the pics before my camera went dead eventually after about 5 shots. Why do I always forget to juice up the camera?? Sheesh. Pathetic.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:13 am 
Brown Trout

Phil, I had the opposite reaction fishing them to wild fish. The fish were still nailing the nymph, even just 10-15" under the indicator. Who knows. They are a pain to move though. They basically save the day for me.

I got a trick from Jule that I like. Take the small foam peg on crappie floats and cut them in half. I position the narrow end toward the nymph. Then peg them in place. Easy to see, float high, float a lot of weight, but not too splashy. Unless you miss a hookset, then it't like a smallie popper. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:49 am 
Brown Trout

Total agreement

They suck

And the worst thing is when you get hung up and have to break off. The tippet will break at the bobber which makes you do a total re-rig.
They are too expensive and a styro indicator with a slot and toothpick works better anyway.

JT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:26 am 
Brown Trout

Here's a little different take form a guy that doesn't normally fish indicators at all. I bought a batch of 12 Thingamabobbers in the 1/2" and 3/4" size on ebay. I carry the foam twist on indicator in the smallest size in my vest. Working the fly fishing clinics and with the boy scouts, I have gone through two packs of the twist on's without ever using one myself. That shit was getting expensive. The beginners and the scouts have a tendency of casting the twist on indicators off, or destroying them in some other manner.

During spring PFF, I fished with a young man that had never fly fished before. If I'm going to fish flies that I normally fish, a new person to fly fishing is going to have to use an indicator....period the end. We fished the whole day and only lost one Tthingamabobber and that was my fault. Changing tippet I just let the fly line go to drift in the current, while I worked on getting new tippet ready to put on. Can't let the Thingamabobber float free in the current with nothing attached.....current will slide that sucker right off!

I found that if you pay attention to which way you put the Thingamabobber on and don't try to use them on too small of line that they work great for their intended purpose.

They will not move on a furled mono leader either. No kinks in a furled leader after you have used one either.

Personally, if I'm going to use an indicator, which is very very seldom, I'm still going to use the twist on type, but the Thingamabobbers are great for beginners and folks new to the sport. Another great time to use the Thingamabobber is when fishing high water.

Just some nonsense from a guy that doesn't use indicators dat much if at all.

Ralph :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:36 am 
Brown Trout

Here's the mfr. of the floats that I buy at WalMart and other bait stores and places that sell bait rigs and terminal tackle:

http://www.comaltackle.com/catalog/peg_flt.html

Under "Peg Floats, the one that Jason is talking about is the red/white cigar style. I use it because it is readily available in most stores like I mentioned before. I cut them in half. There are others available that are already sized properly, like the teardrops, peanut-minis, and little brother.

The best and most economical ones, though, are the white foam "walleye" style crawler rig floats. I got that idea from Greg Qualls (gqualls is his screen name here). He gets them on ebay by the hundreds for very little money. They are perfectly sized and work great, especially on smaller nymphs.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:31 am 
Rainbow Trout

Phil wrote:
Just got back from a trip trying "Thingamabobbers" again over small to medium nymphs. They also scare wild fish.

That's what I have to say about that.

Have you tried the black or the white color smallest size Thingamabobbers over the spooky fish? I wonder if they would spook less.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy