southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: "Thingamabobbers" Suck.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:55 am 
Brown Trout

Spooking the fish might well have been my fault, not the Thingamabobbers. Drag, or they saw me. They were wild fish that were getting heavy pressure from other fishermen.

I really don't like the way the Thingamobbers kink the leader, though. If you reposition them, they leave a big kink where they were previously, and I couldn't get the kinks out no matter how many times I rubbed and stretched the leader. I dunno. Guess it's my fault. I'll probably just go back to what I'm comfortable with. :)

So -- Streamer -- lemme get this straight. You just take out the pegs from those floats,throw the floats away, cut the pegs in half, and use them for indicators? Interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:05 pm 
Brown Trout

Phil wrote:
.....So -- Streamer -- lemme get this straight. You just take out the pegs from those floats,throw the floats away, cut the pegs in half, and use them for indicators? Interesting.

NONONONO........

Jason's post says "......Take the small foam peg on crappie floats and cut them in half....."
It should read ".....Take the small foam peg-on crappie floats and cut them in half......."

Just cut the float in half, slip it on your leader, and peg it where you want it.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:34 pm 
Brown Trout

Whew. That's better. OK. I wuz jist wondering.... :?
Thanks for the idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:08 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

I also hate Thingamabobbers. They do work pretty well if you are fishing deep water when the indicator is up near the butt of the leader. However, they just don't work well on shallow water when your indicator is closer to the fly. They do just like Phil says. I use white egg yarn (McFly foam, in Streamer's honor) or small white slotted indicators on finicky water. I thing trout see them as an air bubble. I think it is more neutral to them. I will be trying the crappie float idea. Thanks guys for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:40 pm 
Brown Trout

Yeah, what Jule said. Be careful with the pegs, because you end up with half as many pegs as floats. I've lost pegs, but I think I've used the same float for a year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:12 am 
Brown Trout

I'm getting hooked on little swatches of poly yarn tied around small slices of surgical-type, clear tubing. The indicators I use of this type in clear, slow water for small nymphs are usually about 1/2" high or less, combed out and dosed liberally with floatant. The colors that can be used are up to your imagination.
The type similiar to this using simple O-Rings seem to be kind of fragile.

I'm not against using indicators or dry flies as indicators if for nothing else than to keep the fly somewhat above any rock-snot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:43 pm 
Brown Trout

I really dislike the yarn indicators with o-rings. They crimp the leader just like Thingamabobbers, and are clumsy and splashy with those stupid plastic rings. Interested in your post, Jack. Give me more info. (Via PM if you wish).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:24 pm 
Brown Trout

Phil wrote:
I really dislike the yarn indicators with o-rings.

Then you won’t like what I am putting in the mail. The orings I use are rubbery and once you loop to loop to the leader, you can flip them over so that the leader is still straight.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:45 pm 
Brown Trout

I'll be happy to try 'em, Donnie. I've only tried the big fluffy ones with hard rings that guides always want ya to use.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:10 pm 
Brook Trout

Phil,

I use something that you might be interested in. I know old Harry Murray gets a bad rap, and deservadly so in most cases, but he sells some strike indicators that are the best I've used for the brookie streams here in the SNP. Since you do a lot of similar fishing, you might like them. His shop is the only place I've ever seen them for sale. Basically, they are like little pieces of hollow fly line that slip over the leader and are held up by the knots in your leader. They cast very well and don't splash. They're small and thin, so they won't spook fish and they sink so they don't limit the depth of your nymph. Since you're usually fishing close on these streams, this isn't really a problem because you can still see it under water. You can also use more than one.

http://www.murraysflyshop.com/gadgets_indicators.html

I don't think they would work well at places where you're making long casts (like the SoHo) because they would be hard to see, but on little wild streams they are pretty much perfect.