southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: New SAGEONE rod
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:47 pm 
Brown Trout

I was casting Peddler's BIIMX when I was approached by Raz Reid with a Sage One in his hand. He handed it to me (both rods were 5 wts) and let me cast it. It''s the most responsive truly fast action rod I've ever cast. I threw 50' by thinking about it. I threw it 75'-85' without hauling it. A light single haul had me casting further than I thought I was capable. I am a solidly average caster. Maybe just a bit above average, depending on who you talk to. Here's the real beauty of this rod: It's deadly accurate at close range. It's like throwing darts.

If I had $730.00, I'd buy this rod without blinking.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:16 am 
Brown Trout

Gentlemen, a couple of years ago I had the experience of trying to catch steelhead. The guide told me I needed to make a larger loop when mending. I was working at it, with my $150 rod and having little success. He handed me his$600 rod and the result was amazing. The mends came easier and with less energy spent. The point is, in this situation, the expensive rod was worth the money. No, I can't afford one, but it was a pleasure to use a rod of this caliber.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:18 am 
Brown Trout

OK....I have to admit it. I bought one of the Sage 1 rods as soon as they hit the market. It's a fantastic rod and well worth the price. Pair it up with a shark skin line and you'll see what I mean....it's a rocket launcher. I have the 10 foot 5 wt.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:01 am 
Brown Trout

I tried the rod at the show and like Peddler, I was impressed with the way that the rod performed. It worked up close and would reach out out as far as your casting would ability would allow. Unlike the TCR which made no room for any mistakes on the casters part this rod is more forgiving. I wanted to see Peddler put the line over the curtain but he didn't quite make it.
I would like to try the 10 ft. rod because I am fast becoming a fan of the longer rods. I really like them when fishing from my toon and also from my boat. I can easily roll cast and do the spey casts and use a lot less effort plus the extra length does allow you to cast further. Wonder how far I could get with the Sage 10 ft?
GJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:10 am 
Brown Trout

Well, if Peddler likes it, I suppose I would keep it if my wife were to buy me the 9'7" 6 wt for Christmas.

Still, I think of this video every time a new rod comes out: http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7795583/a-new-fly-rod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:52 am 
Warpaint Shiner

A quailty rod from a popular brand rodmaker/ blank is worth it for a serious fly fisher. Its like our other toys, a great car or boat is always a pleasure to play with.(timeless) You long rod guys check out the Hardy-/Greys Streamflex 10 footers. I used the 5 wt last season, you reach and mend better, extra long drifts using tight lines. Light weight is key. I put an old Marryat reel on, have to watch the wind make sure it doesn't blow out of my hands! I threw it out to 50 ft once or twice in the grass, when fish'n it usually never gets more than 4 ft of line out.(a nymph stick for sure).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:42 pm 
Brown Trout

flybulleit wrote:
A quailty rod from a popular brand rodmaker/ blank is worth it for a serious fly fisher.

And those of us who aren't "serious" and just enjoy fishing for fun? Think of the money we save.