southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: kids fishing
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:18 pm 
Brown Trout

Ava, age 8 3/4, asked me to take her trout fishing "somewhere that we don't have to pay for the fish and can put them back." Looking for somewhere that has easy wading and LOTS of dumb fish. Stone Mtn or Wilson Creek, what say the experts on easing the children into the world of fly fishing? (Helton seems a bit too far, but we could camp, so not entirely out of the question -- but I can camp at Wilson and at Stone Mtn, too.) Calling DevinsDad and Streamer, or anyone else with 0.02 to add.

Post subject: Re: kids fishing
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:37 pm 
Brown Trout

I'd try the Mitchell ans Stone Mtn. 1) After Delayed Harvest begins (Catch & Release)and C - Stone Mtn. Ditto the season and the stocking. North Mills is fun too under the same conditions mentioned before, if you don't mind the drive. Here's a nice brookie I caught on the N. Mills last November (White Wooly Bugger)

Caught several more that morning on soft hackles like Disco ties. Well, ALMOST like Disco ties.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:31 pm 
Brown Trout

I took Lauren up and fished that stream where you met me for this last trip. That was last year. She did not fish too much. But she enjoyed being out with dad. Don't rule out some of the easier to get to wild streams. Wild fish tend to be more predictable than the stockers. South Mtns meets those criteria when it fishes well. Unfortunately, it's not fished very well for a few years as far as I can tell.

Wilson Creek is big water. Don't expect her to wade much. There are large stretches where you can get away with little to no wading though. But with the size of that creek it may also be tough for her to fish it. Some of those spots push the limits of what I can do with a fly rod.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:37 am 
Brown Trout

I will second Streamer's good advice. Stone Mtn was where Devin cut his teeth learning to fly fish. Easy in and outs, the current is not too bad, no really deep spots.

Mitchell would be second choice, easy wade in most area's. There are a few deep spots on the ditch.

South Mountains is also a good choice for the youngsters, again easy wading, but not quite as much casting room as stone mtn and Mitchell.

Teach her to roll cast, don't worry about the fancy stuff. A good roll cast will go a long way to keeping you both happy most of the trip. Make sure that her rod has enough ooomph to roll cast a bugger with some lead on it. Very frustrating to roll cast a light rod with a heavy lure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:54 pm 
Brown Trout

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Jason, I agree, I have much higher confidence in some of the wild streams - but in terms of ease and access a DH after the truck rolls through might be the way to go.

Will probably head up to Stone Mtn, I don't think I can bring myself to re-visit the Mitchell.