southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A quick note about Orvis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:29 pm 
Brook Trout

I thought I would relate the recent experience I had with the local Orvis store here in Richmond. Last fall I was shopping for new waders and finally decided on the sonic weld waders from Orvis. I was having a hard time finding waders in my price range that fit well. I guess short and fat is a difficult size. I tried a few different brands and finally settled on the Orvis pair because they fit the best. I wore the waders last fall a couple times on the Soho and through the winter and early spring in the SNP. Then this May they sprung a leak while I was down at the Soho again. The seam in the crotch came apart just enough to let water in. I hung them up when I got home knowing that I wouldn't need them again until this fall and thinking that it would be an easy patch anyway. So yesterday I dropped by the store to pick up a patch kit in preparation for the upcoming PFF. Dale, the guy that runs the fishing department asked me about the problem and what kind of waders they were and then offered an exchange when I told him the story. I had never thought about an exchange since I had worn them a bunch of times and they were fairly beat up already (SNP is hard on waders). But, to make a long story short, I went back in today and exchanged my leaky, beat up, year old waders for a brand new pair. No hassle at all.

I thought I would relate the story because this is some of the best customer service I've ever had. It would have been easy enough for him to just let me buy the patch kit and be on my way, since I never even mentioned returning the waders. Orvis often gets a bad rap but in this case their service was top notch. They also told me that this was the first pair of those waders that had been returned at that store, so hopefully the new pair will last. At least I should be dry at the PFF in a couple weeks.

Post subject: Re: A quick note about Orvis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:39 pm 
Brown Trout

I have 2 of their reels and I use their leaders and tippett material. I really can't figure out why some people don't like them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:54 pm 
Rainbow Trout

I have several of the old CFOs, which I feel is one of the best reels ever made. And the old 7’6” Tippet 3 wt. is one of my favorites. Plus I still use the Super Strong material. I went through every tippet made, both fluro and mono, and finally went back to what worked the best for me years ago. They make and have made some good stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:20 pm 
Brook Trout

I use their leaders and tippet material also. I think it's good stuff. Bugman, weren't those CFOs made by Hardy in England?

I think their bad rap comes from the idea of a bunch of beginner fly fisherman, with more money than sense, and no stream etiquette, outfitted with Orvis rod, reel, waders, boots, hat, vest etc., passing themselves off as experts. The Orvis hatch.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Their leaders are fine and I use them in the 7.5’. But I have found that the SS tippet material is a great match with longer Maxima leaders. I used the Orvis braided leaders for years, but when they stopped making the longer lengths, and my supply of the longer braids were used up, I had to go back to Maxima. Those long braids inserted in the end of the line and glued were a great tailwater setup. I think the braid was 8’; I would cut off the loop at the end and add a short piece of 3x with a surgeon’s knot, then short piece of 5x, then down to 6 or 7x. The finished product was anywhere from 13-14’ and you could cast the leader through the guides with the smooth splice.

Yes, all the CFOs I have are made in England, some with rivets, and one without a line guard. Some are getting beat up, but still work great.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:44 pm 
Brown Trout

They get picked on for selling household items like dog beds. However,I will tell you this - they make the best damn dog bed in the world. I am generally impressed by Orvis gear. The only exception is a fly drying wheel I paid too much for. It was a piece of crap. I took it back, no questions asked. Not only did they give me my money back, but they discontinued the item in their inventory. Orvis fills an important retail niche. I tend to favor a couple other retailers, but I respect the local Orvis store and the people in there. Some of their rods are magnificent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:38 pm 
Brown Trout

My first pair of breathable waders were Orvis. I got them the same way you did when My Orvis neoprene waders leaked. All I heard about breathable waders, ANY brand breathable waders, was that they leaked. Yes... even Simms.
I figured with the way Orvis customer service was I didn't have a lot to lose in taking a chance on their breathables. They weren't the best. I ended up swapping them out for new at least once a year. The exchange wasn't a problem at the time from any Orvis dealer I dealt with. Finally, after too many swaps I called Orvis to ask about other options to their breathables and they simply sent me a check for the amount the last pair cost. With that I bought Simms after hearing that they finally figured out how to make reliable breathable waders. Even though their early waders didn't work out so well for me, their customer service made me a life-long customer. Like others here I treasure the old CFO's and also had nothing but good luck with the SS tippet material. Right now I'm using their Mirage and Max Knot flouro with good success (the little I've been able to use it anyhow) I have a couple Buzz Off clothing items that really work when no-see-ums mosquitos are on the rampage. I really wish I had the cash laying around for a Helios or two. That is one remarkable rod series.
Orvis is a good company with some nice fly fishing gear. They get a bad rap because they sell far more than fly fishing gear. I bet a great percentage of their profits come from the expensive trinkets and preppie clothes. Looking around, there seems to be other fly fishing companies who are also straying from their core business and also becoming clothing marketers. It's hard to argue with success. Are doggie beds next?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:56 am 
Smallmouth Bass

What do they say about lifetime rod warranties? I want to say that it is something along the line of the manufacturers have the built in cost of 5 replacement rods into the original purchase cost.

I don't want to bash Orvis but I suspect that replacement costs are built into their prices. So the question becomes: "Would you pay less for an equal product without the same level of customer service?"

wilhelm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:14 am 
Brown Trout

Orvis rods run in approximately the same price ranges as other premium rod companies. The quality is similar (and much better than Sage, imo), and the warranty and customer service cannot be beat.
I have three Orvis reels and one Orvis rod presently. Over the years I have owned several Orvis rods and have had several replaced without question, even after years of hard use. I have nothing bad to say about the company.
Jist sayin....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:29 am 
Brown Trout

My Orvis story goes about like this. I bought a pair of the Pro Guide waders on sale. Wore them a lot. One day on the SoHo they started to leak a lot. Called Orvis. They said send the back. Called the return center a bit later in the next week. They evaluated that the seams had failed. Told me since that version had been discontinued. Said they would send me the next version and a few week later they showed up. I will probably buy their waders again.

Great customer service.