southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: TV "Bluegill on the Fly"
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:45 pm 
Brown Trout

Tomorrow (Saturday, Nov. 18, at 5:30 pm) on UNCTV, the series "Carolina Outdoor Journal" will show the fly fishing poppers for bluegill show that Jim Morgan and I did on his lake near Laurinburg. We caught some nice fish, using TFO's new inexpensive "Bug Launcher" rods. I had the 7' rod and Jim, since he was 'driving' the neat dual-electric motor boat, had the 8 footer. We caught some nice 'gills. If you get a chance, watch the show and share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Rivergeezer

Post subject: Re: TV "Bluegill on the Fly"
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am 
Brown Trout

That Bug Launcher is a neat, little rod. I was fooling around with it for quite a while at the Asheville show.
A couple small kids showed up next to us at the casting pool with their way too big and heavy 9 footers and were having a bear of a time with them. I asked Kent if he minded if I let the little girl next to us give it a try and when she gave it a cast or two she caught right on. The small grip and short length of the Launcher seems to fit right in as a nice rig for kids. The candy apple red color is about perfect for kids too.

Betcha those bluegill were a blast, Geez.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:34 pm 
Brown Trout

You're so right, Jack-o. If you want to make certain a child will never wish to fish again, give him a rod that's too big to handle and/or take him where he has little chance to catch a fish. I've seen this happen so often that it almost doesn't warrant comment.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:54 am 
Brown Trout

Caught your show Mr Geezer

You should really try to have less fun when fishing for bluegills and those pesky large mouth looked like they put a damper on an other wise successful day!

It was an entertaining show and those TFO's looked like they did their job pretty well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:07 am 
Brown Trout

JFey wrote:
Caught your show Mr Geezer

You should really try to have less fun when fishing for bluegills and those pesky large mouth looked like they put a damper on an other wise successful day!

It was an entertaining show and those TFO's looked like they did their job pretty well.

Glad you enjoyed the show, Jeff. My dear wife missed most of it since she was laughing so hard, waiting for me to fall out of the boat. Jim and I always have fun when we fish. And about those little TFO rods--what a hoot! Hook a 3 or 4 lb. bass on that 7-footer I had and it's nothing but fun. And a rod for $80? I'm getting one for my grandson. He'll grow into it.

By the way, Jeff, despite the way I abuse you when you come to Loch Geezer, you are one of the best flycasters who plumb the depths, and shallows, of the loch. As always, if we have a few warm days this winter, you may want to come give the pond a try. Or, if we have a good (3 or 4 inches) rain, show up. That's when I've tossed salt-water streamers to catch the big bass.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:42 pm 
Brown Trout

JFey wrote:
By the way, Jeff, despite the way I abuse you when you come to Loch Geezer, you are one of the best flycasters who plumb the depths, and shallows, of the loch. As always, if we have a few warm days this winter, you may want to come give the pond a try. Or, if we have a good (3 or 4 inches) rain, show up. That's when I've tossed salt-water streamers to catch the big bass.

Its amazing how well powerbait and treble hooks work on bluegills :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:44 am 
Warpaint Shiner

Loved the show.

I have a 15 month old son who is the holder of a lifetime hunting and fishing license for our great state, courtesy of my dad. My 9 year old daughter likes being with me more than fishing (which is really what we want right?).
Watching y'all pull in those prehistoric bluegills and listening to the laughter definitely had me looking forward to opportunities to fish with both of my kids.

Great show. Thanks for letting us know about it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:08 pm 
Brown Trout

Wish I had seen the show. Glad you caught some fish.

On a side note, blue gills got me wondering, whatever happened to BlueGillBob?

And finally, welcome to the new member chiming in.

Edited to say: even if you are friends with Streamer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:45 pm 
Brown Trout

[quote="Christensen
Edited to say: even if you are friends with Streamer.[/quote]

You do realize that do to the current administration's mandate to be "politically correct" I must show deference to questionable "green card" holders like the Streamer, yes?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:38 pm 
Brown Trout

Robert....My wife watched the show with me, and all she could say was, "Is that really a boat? How do they not fall out of it?"

My inquiring mind cut to heart of the matter with a deeper probing question: How did you not get jerked out of it?

Enjoyed the show.

Green cards are not required of Appalachian-Americans.

Yer Pal,
Streamer