southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon May 20, 2019 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Smith tomorrow
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:46 pm 
Brown Trout

Anyone been on the Smith lately or trying tomorrow?

Post subject: Re: Smith tomorrow
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:25 pm 
Brown Trout

Is there still a special regs section? With all the changes, one thing that was never made clear, at least to me, was whether or not a trout stamp will be required between the Hwy 666 bridge and Town Creek. During the debate leading up to the changes, I heard it both ways ... from official sources, no less.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:12 pm 
Brown Trout

phg wrote:
Is there still a special regs section? With all the changes, one thing that was never made clear, at least to me, was whether or not a trout stamp will be required between the Hwy 666 bridge and Town Creek. During the debate leading up to the changes, I heard it both ways ... from official sources, no less.

Yes & No :oops:

Not called Special Regs anymore but that section is also not "Designated Stock Trout Waters" so you can fish there with just the basic fishing license. Same below the Martinsville Dam.

How-so-ever, just as I have been saying for years, you are missing some good fishing by not having the option of going to the stocked sections of the river. Sure you are saving $36 but how much of a savings will that be now that gas is +$3.35 a gallon if you get up there someday and find they just had a cloud burst and the old Spec Reg is blown out. Above Town Creek will be as clear as gin and depending on amount of rain, lots of times the lower river takes at least a day before it is effected by all the mud from Town Creek.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:47 pm 
Brown Trout

Fished it last week. Caught a number of fish on a greenie weenie. Could not buy a bite on anything else. Saw some fish rising on falling water then they shut down and you had to drag them off the bottom. Good number of people fishing in the upper section but Town Creek was running brown so I guess that had everyone pushed up high.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:40 pm 
Brown Trout

Fly In VA wrote:
Good number of people fishing in the upper section but Town Creek was running brown so I guess that had everyone pushed up high.

My point exactly - and there is "Frugal - fill in name here" dunking his nymph in mud stained water and mumbling to himself about all the $ he is saving. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:53 pm 
Brown Trout

Al wrote:
Fly In VA wrote:
Good number of people fishing in the upper section but Town Creek was running brown so I guess that had everyone pushed up high.

My point exactly - and there is "Frugal - fill in name here" dunking his nymph in mud stained water and mumbling to himself about all the $ he is saving. :roll:

Nope. If I can't find fishable water on the Smith, I go somewhere else. At that point, it's not much further up to the mountains. I can only remember once, though, when I went up there during hatchery season and the Smith was too blown out to fish. Seems I had a pretty good day chasing wild fish up near the BRP.....