southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shad flies
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:34 am 
Brown Trout

Looks like I may have an opportunity to fish for Shad down on the Santee river this coming spring. I've no idea what to expect. I need some help on what flies I should attempt to tie before going. If any of you fellas have any experience fishing for shad and would be willing to suggest some flies I'd need I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Theron

Post subject: Re: Shad flies
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:26 am 
Brown Trout

One word....."Croaker" :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:46 am 
Brown Trout

Here's another word......"Croaker".

I'll see i I can dig up his Shad Fly pattern or pic, but if Don sees this, I'm sure he'll hook you up.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:27 pm 
Brook Trout

Wk, i'm no expert but i do fish for them every spring on the james. I use a sorta modified tommy's torpedo and just small clousers in bright colors. I'll take a pic of the torpedo tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:16 pm 
Brown Trout

It works... as proven in my profile picture :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:28 pm 
Brown Trout

Even I have managed to catch shad with shad darts. Croaker's recipe is as good as they get -- I used it with tremendous success.

I ended up tying mine on a 90 degree hook. I would have preferred a 60 degree bend in the hook but only because that is what most everyone else seems to use. Still, I caught so many fish that my hooks bent but I kept fishing them to keep some challenge in the game. (I can count on one finger, starting with this outing, the number of times that has happened).

Best of luck.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:10 pm 
Brown Trout

Is that a mono weedgaurd on Croaker's shadfly?

Thanks for the info fellas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:14 pm 
Brown Trout

windknotter wrote:
Is that a mono weedgaurd on Croaker's shadfly?

Thanks for the info fellas.

nope...more crystal flash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:43 pm 
Brown Trout

Windknotter,

Here's a few ideas, thoughts and ponderings that have occured over the years.

All my Shad fishing has been done on the Ogeechee and Savannah Rivers in GA. Mostly from a boat. Only spot that I have caught Shad while wading or from the bank was below the Lock and Dam(n) near Augusta, Ga on the Savannah. Billres (a true gentleman and scholar) showed me the spot. Takes a boat to get there...

The "wing" on the no name shadfly is Flashabou. Other colors or combinations that work are bright red, yellow and orange. Clousers in the same colors are also good. Don't be scared to use gold dumbell eyes.

The advantage of the Clouser and my eye sore modification on the Clouser is that the hook sticks in the stout upper lip of the Shad. Darts and traditional streamer will get bit, though result in more LDR's due to the thin nature of the rest of the Shads mouth.

In my experience(s) the Shad generally run up the deep side of the channel. Fish the seam between the main current and the slower water near the bank. Creek mouths with a sand bar are always worth a try. They usually will hold near the drop off though on occaision will be up on the sand bar.

Depending on river condtions 5 - 8wt rods. Lower water and slower flows use 5-6wt with floating line, 7-12' leader with 5x-3x tippet. Heavy eyes or added split shot to get deep. When then the ammount of split shot makes casting real ugly (or leaves a mark) it is time to use a 7-8wt with fast sink tip or full sinking line and 3-6' 3x tippet...

Good luck!

croaker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:35 pm 
Brown Trout

Croaker,
Here's the deal. Looks like I may get to do some turkey hunting down on the Santee river this coming April. Friend down there mentioned the shad fishing is fantastic. Says it's mountain stream clear at times with sandy bottom. Gave some suggestions for flies but he's no diehard flyfisherman so "brown looking minnow flies" didn't narrow things down for me much. :lol: He did say brighter stuff for murky water.

Couple questions if you don't mind: Hook size 4-6? How big are these shad? Is that to get the point back in the roof of the mouth? I fish lots smaller stuff to those big old grass carp, more like 10-12 stuff.

Thanks for all the help.