southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Shad flies
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:11 am 
Brown Trout

Windknotter,

Yep, size #4-6. The Hickory Shad get up to around 3 lbs. American Shad can go over 8 lbs. Streamlined body, forked tail, very powerful (like other saltwater fish). Smaller flys will work. I've had better luck with the larger hooks.

I too use #10-12 hooks on the Grass Carp down here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:38 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Here is what I tie for shad. Last spring on the Roanoke Aaron and I had 100 fish days. Aaron caught more fish than I have ever seen anyone catch for several hours on end, he was wearing them out. I tied small clousers but also used some jig heads. They are very cheap which is good because you tend to lose a fair number on the Roanoke on the underwater tree limbs, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:47 pm 
Brown Trout

So it's flies in bright colors about 1.25-1.75" long with dumb bell eyes, clouser style stuff more or less. I've got a full sinking line and floating lines to use. Short leaders ok like 5-7'? Or do I need something longer?
Thanks for all the info fellas.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:37 am 
Rainbow Trout

Actually I would go with a shorter leader, more like 3 to 4 feet. Definitely use a full sinking line or sink head at least 25 to 30'. Don't waste money on a tapered leader, just a straight piece of mono or fluorocarbon. I use fluoro. The last few years I have bought a hank of T-14 and made my own heads. If you haven't used them much, they aren't pretty to cast, using a water haul is probably the easiest way, or maybe an oval cast. Cast out 90 degrees or so to the current, let it swing and strip after it has come straight. You generally catch them when you first start the strip since that is the deepest point the line is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:11 pm 
Brook Trout

Just to throw up some more ideas: I've fished for them on the James River here in downtown Richmond the last few years. The spot I usually go to has a high rip rap bank behind making casting pretty difficult. I started out with a standard Tommy's Torpedo (or as close as I could get to one) with an epoxied body like this one:

I got tired of bashing the fly against the rocks behind me and breaking the epoxy off so I started tying them with a chenille body and roll casting a lot more. You can't get much more simple than these.

These have worked pretty well for me along with small chartreuse and white, pink and white, or orange and white clousers. I also use a sink tip with about 3 feet of 0x flouro tied to it. In my experience they aren't leader shy at all so I go heavy, which also helps towards the end of the run when the stripers are in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:15 pm 
Brown Trout

Nice flies, Dan. I've tied some just like that with silver tinsel / pink, chartreuse, and yellow bodies. Yours look great.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 pm 
Brown Trout

Yes,
Nice flies. Thanks to everyone for all the great info. Exactly the kind I was looking for. Glad to repay the favor if I can in some way.
Thanks,
Theron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:05 pm 
Brown Trout

windknotter wrote:
Yes,
Nice flies. Thanks to everyone for all the great info. Exactly the kind I was looking for. Glad to repay the favor if I can in some way.
Thanks,
Theron

Theron....You got any turkey left?

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:47 am 
Brown Trout

You are kidding right? Where, when and how much you need?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:18 pm 
Brown Trout

Can you shadders believe that I, though of limited means and a shy individual, who has caught a few disparate species of fish, have never fished for much less caught a shad? Perhaps I need to drive over to the Pee Dee to see if and when the fabled fish fins its way up from Winyah Bay. Any guesses when the Great Run may occur?