southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fishing Question for Tom
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:43 am 
Brown Trout

Overbrook
Some time back, you said that you saw a huge wad of fish in your pond all jammed up against each other.
Did you ever figure out why that happened ?
Were they all the same species ??

I am gonna pose this to a Fishery Biologist friend

I don't know how many thousand days that I have on the water, but I have not seen that phenomenon more than twice in my life.

JT

Post subject: Re: Fishing Question for Tom
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:23 pm 
Brown Trout

That phenomenon has been noticed here at Loch Geezer a few times--fish piling up against the dam or beaching themselves in the shallows. And the cause is always the same--NightCrawler farting in his float tube.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:18 pm 
Brown Trout

Grouping can be caused by many things but low temperatures is one of the most common...........dissolved oxygen and ph layers will cause it but usually in deeper water conditions. Like to hear what the biologist has to say about this in a closed area the size of a pond. Im not a biologist but I did stay at Marriot Courtyard right up the road from a Holiday Inn last night . :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:09 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Has for answers, I like the one of Nightcrawler farting in the float tube. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:06 pm 
Brown Trout

flyrod wrote:
Has for answers, I like the one of Nightcrawler farting in the float tube. :)

X2 !! :lol: :lol:

Well....let me give ya a few more details/circumstances that may help them give an answer even though I have an idea it was really two things.

The pond is about 8-10 acres ....which is'nt a big lake, but its a pretty fair sized pond....so the fish are'nt crowded by any means.
As far as I know the water quality has always been good as far as PH , O2 etc.
When this occured it was cold (maybe 40' to low 50's during the day dipping just below freezing perhaps at night)
the water is as clear as I've ever seen it....you could litterally see 4 ft. deep 50 ft. away ...you could pretty much count the stumps across the bottom of the pond in 70% of it.
There had been a recent rash of fish eating waterfowl hanging out there.There is one great blue Heron that is there almost every year for as long as I've owned the place and commonly you might see a couple of white egrets and a couple of coots (small black birds with long beak) but usually maybe 4 or 5 birds total at a time would be the most....at this particular time thre had been probably better than 20 of the white birds as well as a few others all at once.
Yes they were all brim (best I could tell) and if I had to throw out an estimate I would guess maybe a couple of thousand of them in the flock stretching about 40 or 50ft long and about 10ft. wide and when I approached it looked like a black cloud moving away from me.

I think the cold clear water and the combination of birds that had been scattered around the pond had them bunched together for safety...thats my theory....the birds have since left (after being peppered with bird shot .22s a couple of times :twisted: :twisted: ) and I have not seen them bunched up again like that....matter of fact....the last report I put up where I had a few hours of non-stop action....they were spread out really well all throughout the pond and at all depths. There was a good many brim and a few bass way back in the real shallow water as if they were scoping out breeding areas....but nothing to the degree of that cloud of fish. ( no beds were spotted as of yet)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:29 pm 
Brown Trout

Edit: the black birds are cormmorants....( but I here them called coots all the time...but after searching Google images...they are not "coots" ....definately cormmorants)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:46 am 
Brown Trout

The biologist did not have an answer for the bunching phenomenon. His guess was a water temperature issue.

Cormorants are fish eating machines. If you have a lot of them,they will clean your pond f all small fish pretty quickly.

JT

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:22 pm 
Brown Trout

Stone-Man wrote:
Cormorants are fish eating machines. If you have a lot of them,they will clean your pond f all small fish pretty quickly.
JT

Florida tilapia farmers don't put chicken wire over their ponds to keep the chickens out.