southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: #5 Fly Rods
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:03 am 
Brook Trout

I need a new #5 stick for reasons I won't mention. As I respect your opinions (you too, Jack), I thought I'd present my final choices on this forum. I want an 8.5' fast action rod with a fairly soft tip. I'm on a budget, no high-end stuff. Choices below:

1. Winston Passport
B. TFO BVK
3. Allen Myth
D. St. Croix Legend Elite

Has anyone used any of these? I have a BVK, but it's a #7. Good rod, but I need a new "go to" rod, something more versatile. You'll understand. I read George's #5 shootout for some other input but you guys are good casters with experience. Please advise.

Post subject: Re: #5 Fly Rods
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:24 am 
Brown Trout

As you know,I am a big St.Croix fan.
Certainly the legend is a fast rod, but I don't think that you will find many rods that are called "fast" that have a really soft tip.

Of course,when you are going to spend hundreds of $dollars$ ,it would be best to test run the rod first.

JT

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:52 pm 
Brown Trout

I'm with JT on this also. To really find the best fit, you gotta toss some line with it...

SF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:32 pm 
Brown Trout

I too was sold on the Winston Passport after reading the 5 wt rod review. I just never got the opportunity to try one out.
I have St Croix 5 wt. Ultra Elite. It is fast and NOT a soft tip.
I have a TFO BVK 5wt. that I got last year. It is a fast rod and its tip is softer than the St Croix. I have over-lined it w 6 wt. line. I use it for larger waters. It will throw some line out there. It is my go-to rod except for close quarters work.
I just picked up a TFO TiCrX 4 wt. at an unreal discount price. It has the same flex as the the BVK. I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two TFOs if casting blindfolded. You might want to read reviews on the TiCrX.
If you are interested pm me and I will try and make the connection for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:53 pm 
Brown Trout

I'll cordially disagree with Ben. To me, the BVK is right in line with the parameters that you outlined, where as the TiCrX is not only fast from butt to tip, but I'd also describe it as a bit stiff. I think the BVK weighs less, but even if it doesn't, it feels lighterand is comfortable to cast all day long. The BVK, of these two rods, is the better rod IMHO.

The Allen rod is not as well known, but I cast it at the FFF gathering in Ga., and it is a real sweet rod to cast. It's easily the equal of the BVK. The guy who sells them (Justin) is a great guy as well.

The Legend (Ultra) Elite has lost a step for my taste. The old Legend Ultra was way better. But I think the rod that St. Croix makes that fits your guidelines the best would be the St. Croix Avid. Light, quick, tracks great, but a softer tip than most rods that describe themselves as "fast". Check it out.

I own both the BVK and the Avid 5 wt.

I love talking rods!

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:48 am 
Brook Trout

Thank you all (y'all?, I'm slowly gettin' there).

I have a Legend Ultra - bought new in 2004. It's a 9' #4 and is perfect for smaller dries in relatively "open" water. It is a specific rod for me - mayfly hatches on tailwaters. Its medium action is perfect for the job. I was going to try the new Legend Elite w/3M nano resins. Any other thoughts on this rod? Streamer, I have a friend that has an Avid rod. I know it's a trout rod but I'm not sure how light (which weight). We're going SM fishing in July just before my annual trip home. I'll ask him to bring it.

I also have a #6 rod - Winston IM6 - I use it to fish double-nymph rigs with some weight and an indicator. This rod has a true med-fast action with a fairly soft tip. I like this action, but I want a "new" rod.

I have an email in to Justin at Allen Co. No response yet.

I'd love to throw the Passport. Many don't like imported rods, but I'll keep an open mind on that. Anyone aware of a show or dealer close to Blacksburg, VA?

Hey, thanks again - and have a good one.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:41 pm 
Rainbow Trout

I see you are comming out.

I may hve some time to catch up with you. give me a shout.

307-254-4316

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:45 am 
Brown Trout

My 10 weight is a Legend Elite. In that realm it won over every other 10 weight rod in a three day shoot from back in the day when Charlotte had a good, three day fly fishing show. How a 10 will translate to a 5 weight I ain't for sure.
I have the BVK too but in a 9 weight BUT... I did get to cast the 5 weight BVK at the SE/FFF Conclave casting competition this spring at Unicoi. That was one well behaved fishing pole. If I wasn't set right now with rods I would really consider that.
I also have a few Allen rods (actually, the Carolina Fly Fishing Club does but they're in my care) If you are ever around the Charlotte/Huntersville area drop me a line and we'll let you cast them. We have both the ATS and Xa Allen series in 4 and/or 5 weights. Two of them are 10 footers though that we got for high-sticking and the SoHo. If considering Allen all I know by casting is the two series we have. Hands down I'd go with the Xa over the ATS but then again they have Myth series I've not had a chance to cast.
Despite all that I can't help myself... Find a used Winston BIIx and smile brother, smile!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:14 pm 
Brown Trout

Peddler wrote:
Find a used Winston BIIx and smile brother, smile!

Ain't that the truth! Fished a BiiX 3wt last weekend. I thought I loved the 4wt, but the 3wt is just about perfect for small stream fishing. I was literally smiling while casting it.

Be careful around Peddler though. After listening to him talk about Winstons several years ago, I bought one, then another, then another etc, etc. Last weekend all three guys I were with all had green sticks in their hands... Its kind of like a disease, but a good one :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:19 pm 
Brown Trout

mtsteveoh wrote:
I need a new #5 stick ...Please advise.

Notice in answering the above post, our forum gurus have gone from a 10 wt. to a 3 wt.? I would like to know, therefore, the "best" rod (between a 14 wt. and a 2 wt.) for catching hermaphrodite grayling on Peddler's Secret River in Montana and teeny troutlings on Jeffy's favorite vole urine-spawned rivulet in NC.