southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: #5 Fly Rods
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:27 pm 
Brown Trout

Geezer, Geezer, Geezer how many times have I told you that the key to hermaphrodite grayling has nothing to do with your flyrod. They are coaxed out of hiding by using the braided elk hair caddis from the belly fur of a yearling elk. As for the rivulets, in order to achieve success you must fish with a 3.5 wt that is hand built from 4 year old bamboo that is grown on a secluded Buddhist Monastery located in the highest peak of Mt Kanchenjunga in Nepal.

If all else fails, you can also spray your fishing partners with bear spray for good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:15 am 
Warpaint Shiner

To all you fly fishin' purist-elitists-cultists out there, do yourself a favor and throw the ridiculously overpriced Chino-Korean fly fishin' poles in the trash can. Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a $14 yellow Eagle Claw and catch some real fish. The big-dumb-stupid fish don't know the darned difference anyway. Fast action-slow action-no action, ole yeller Eagle Claw has it all....maybe, maybe not. You can catch both fish and squirrels on this yellow baby, or birds or even pierce your fishin' buddy's ears...no problems.
The best part is, if you hook a pig and lose it, and you tend to act like a little whiney baby over it, you can get all pissed off and throw the rod in the river and you don't even really care afterwards!! Be happy, toss the Eagle Claw in the river cuz you suck at fishin' and smile, smile, smile!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:21 am 
Warpaint Shiner

Jeff....I do believe the nice Cutthroat you are holding in picture was caught shortly thereafter being generously sprayed with some good luck bear spray....fellas, it works like a charm!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:36 pm 
Brown Trout

Yes, the good luck bearspray was a key factor in catching that fish. Also, I had to watch and net the bigger fish you caught on that yallar stick so I had some pride to recover as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:59 pm 
Warpaint Shiner

Happy to be of service. Had I not doused ya'll with a taste of lucky ursus aerosol you all would have taken your sweet time drinking ice cold beer & truly enjoying your lunches and missed precious fishing time. There's method to the madness.
How about that Red Rock Creek...awesome ain't it. Thanks again to Kelly Galloup for telling us about it. Don't anyone tell Jack about it!

Be sure not to miss my upcoming symposium on "Crickets, Corn & Night Crawler's vs. Dry Flies, Nymphs and Streamers".

Sorry, to get back to the original subject. In response to the original post about #5 Fly Rods....I'd recommend picking one of those rods listed, preferably the one that looks the prettiest.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:42 am 
Brown Trout

We gots to get a couple of these boys out fishing.
'Geezer seems to have 'rod' envy and Chris is just being a dick. Really. Image
'Crawler... do your civic and club duty and get these boys into some fish... just make sure it's delayed harvest just after the stocking truck leaves!

'Geezer. I still love, worship and adore you. Can I come over and harrass them fishes still? Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 pm 
Brown Trout

Landman wrote:
How about that Red Rock Creek...awesome ain't it. Thanks again to Kelly Galloup for telling us about it. Don't anyone tell Jack about it!

What? You mean "The Writer" didn't tell the world about Jack-O's secret fishing spot? It was St. Kelly--the guru of the "new miracle method of fishing" (use a streamer...)-buy my: book, DVDs, rods, rigs, etc.,--Galloup who gave away the Great Secret of Jack-O's Hole (so to speak)? I'm mortified, even verklempt. To think that someone whose only thought is to help the poor downtrodden fly fisherman, and not to make money off the gullible, would do such a thing. BTW, 'Crawler, a Galloupian (Anyone surprised? Bueller? Anyone?) has a laminated signed full-length photo of Kelly velcroed to his shower wall. At least, that's what Jack-o and Jeffy tell me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:29 pm 
Brown Trout

With some people no amount of explanation would make them understand that some places are best kept secret. Back in the day some fishing holes were revealed only after plying that knowledge out of a local with a bottle or two of their favorite adult beverage coupled with spending hours if not days convincing them that their secret is safe with you. All that honor stuff is history for some I reckon. The blabbermouth above even pimped Kelly by posting about that area. He was told numerous times that the locals who saved that area over the years don't take kindly to people blabbing about it. I hope those people don't get wind of this thread. Even though his telling Chris about it was really a fucked up deal, for reasons we see here, I don't feel he should now face the wrath of the people he now lives and works amongst.
Ain't it funny when people brag about how much they did not pay for something? I can use pretty, well engineered, warranted and designed American made rods and reels for free and sometimes even get paid handsomely to do so. A good example would be the reel I paid $200.00 for and used as my go-to 5 weight reel for over 10 years and just sold easily to a gent in NY for $1600.00. That's bragging worth bragging about, no?

Thanks though Chris, I just learned a lot about you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:54 am 
Warpaint Shiner

Hey guys check this out.

2011 5-weight shootout - Yellowstone Angler
http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRod ... Hard...The 5 weight shoot out is a rod comparison desinged to help the consumer find the rod that is right for them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:55 am 
Brook Trout

So let me get this straight. Just go buy the best looking rod? What a goomer. Really, thanks for the good advice and knowledge of some rods I've never thrown. Jule and Jack, I'll wait a bit to cast the Avid and the Myth. My power's been out, so I've been hanging pretty close to camp, but I'll get out soon-I'll go where they are. Dealers are fairly close and I'm talking to Justin from Allen. Thanks again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next