southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Furled leaders --Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:44 pm 
Brown Trout

You can use mucilin, but I usually use hard bee's wax. I have used several kinds of wax and even gink, but have come to feel that bee's wax gives me the best conditioner for thread leaders.

I don't usually use any kind of dressing on my mono leaders. The are usually used for warm water fishing anyway, and I don't worry much about them wicking into the surface.

On thing to mention, though. I almost always use a quick roll cast to lift the fly off of the water. It's just become second nature to flick my wrist before beginning my back cast. The flick roll - snake roll, lifts the leader, and the fly, off of the water with a minimum of disturbance. When nymphing, the same motion brings the nymph to the surface, so it's just become part of my standard pickup.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:34 am 
Brown Trout

You fellas would have laughed at me. Yesterday eve I decided to make a couple more leaders. I set things up for an 8'er and start laying out the thread. I get it all looped, off the pegs and on the drill. Halfway through the twists my Daughter says "Daddy, did you know there's still a loop on this post?"

!!!!!

It was between the end peg away from the drill so I stopped and untwisted the other end by hand without removing it from the hook. I was able to piece that loop through and continued to build the leader, let it furl etc. It acually turned out darn good. I then started on a second leader.

Halfway through that build I ran out of gray thread. With my Daughter holding the tag end, I ran and got a half spool of olive thread and found out how pitifully low I am running on 6/0 uni thread. I surgeon looped it to the tag and continued my loops. On the next to last peg guess what happened....I ran out of olive thread!!!! :lol:

Back I go to the tying desk and return with brown thread. Another knot and I'm finishing up the loops. This time I looked really close to make sure all is in order before transferring it to the drill. Then I spun it up and let it furl.

After all that drama I was able to shorb loop both leaders and found I had made my best two so far, good tight twists, nice shorb loops and one is even camo! :lol:

Note to self,
Don't start to build leaders on the back deck late in the evening. The porch light will not provide adequate lighting as it gets dark.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:42 am 
Brown Trout

Been there, done that....

A simple weaver's knot/square knot is all that's needed to splice in a new piece of thread. There's no stress on it once the leader is furled. Just watch the tag ends. Of course, dropping one strand in the butt section would probably not be noticeable in either the appearance or the performance.