southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Furled leaders --Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:09 pm 
Brown Trout

OK. I was making an online order for some supplies not available at any fly shop in my area, and ordered two 3-5 weight Blue Sky furled leaders because so many of you like these furled leaders. They will arrive in a few days.

Ralph tried to tell me they were great last time we were on a PFF camp out, but I wasn't listening closely and one of the "threads" on his furled leader had broken. That doesn't give me lots of confidence.

What the heck do I do with them? How long a tippet for dries on the end of this weird thing? How long and what tippet for a big nymph on the bottom? I hope they don't splash water everywhere like those braided leaders used to do. :?

I need to know. Thanks, Old Phil (who knows NOTHING about furled leaders).

Last edited by Phil on Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Furled leaders --Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:24 pm 
Brown Trout

Phil am not expert. I don't fish the brand you mentioned. I do make my own furled leaders for warm water species especially carp. I usually put about 2' of tippet to connect the streamer or big nymph.

I like a furled leader because they turn over great. I also like them because I can make my own relatively easily and pretty dang cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:54 pm 
Brown Trout

I make my trout leaders 6' long, and typically add 3' to 4' of tippet. For small streams, though, I am developing a 4' furled leader that I add no more than 3' of tippet to. On thread based furled leaders, be sure to treat them with floatant, such as mucilin or bee's wax. Mono based furled leaders don't need treatment.

Furled leaders don't splash, but they will sometimes wick into the surface film. For this reason I have developed a snake-roll pickup that I use with almost every cast. The roll lifts the line off the surface cleanly with minimal disturbance.

I had my doubts when I first tried them, but now, furled leaders are all I use for trout.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:21 pm 
Brown Trout

Thanks, Paul. Good info.

I'm not taking about carp here, Brad, (although I like to fish for carp in summer sometimes), but talking about trout and fine line tippets for/with furled leaders. Mucilin? I gotta order that to use these leaders? That sounds like a hassle and another purchase.
I still need some more info about furled leaders if anyone is up for it. I ain't gonna make 'em. I bought 2 Blue Sky leaders. That's it. What can I use instead of buying "Musilin?"

I can turn over an 8 foot, a 9 foot leader (even on fairly small streams) -- no problem. Sometimes I have problems with a 12 foot leader or longer on big water. Why should I use a furled leader on small streams where I won't be casting further than 30-40 feet? I dunno.
Since I just bought 2, guess I'll try 'em out. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:08 pm 
Brown Trout

Hey Phil

I use em all the time. On trout and bass. I use Blue Sky leaders just like you have. Don't buy mucilin for these because you don't need it. I add any where from 24 to 36 inches of tippet with a loop to loop. When it starts getting too short just change it out. Also, some will disagree but all I do is an overhand surgeon loop and it never breaks. It's easy and quick.
With a dry fly use your 5x for a big fly and your normal 5x, 6x or 7x for spookier fish and smaller flies. I never use anything smaller than 5x when nymphing. Which is really about all I do.
I like the furled leader because once you tie it on, the majority of your leader system is there, all day. When snagged in a tree only the tippet will pop and you just do the loop again and go fish.

Hope this helps buddy
Oh yeah- when dry fly fishing, run your fly floatant onto the tippet a ways to keep it floating, but you probably do that already.
M

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:04 am 
Brown Trout

Thanks, SF. Good info.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:45 pm 
Brown Trout

Hey Phil take a look at this site on making the furled leaders.I have been using this method for a while now and have no problems with them at all.You can make them as long or as strong as you like depending on the material you use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:33 am 
Brown Trout

Can you fellas suggest mono size and basic section build lengths for a 12'-15' mono furled leader to fish 5-6X tippet? I think I know how to put this together but would love to see a basic formula. I'm guessing I need to build a basic 9' butt section built using 2 or 4 lb line but would you use two sections for it or a three sections (twisted portions)?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:21 pm 
Brown Trout

First of all, you don't need that long a furled section. Six to eight feet of furled butt is more than enough for a 12 foot leader. I have extended my basic 6' leader to 12' with tippet sections, without a problem.

Tim Wilhelm makes a very nice mono furled leader with his Franenfurler, but I don't remember if it's 6' of 8'. For mono size, the standard seems to be .004". In tippet sizes, that's about a 6x, and should be 1# or 2# test. That's not a problem, as there will be 6 strands at the tip, giving you a minimum of 6# test, depending on the material you choose. I use .004 mono for my bass leaders, and have never had a problem with breakage.

I did the following diagram for a presentation on furled leaders this past year. It should give you a more clear idea of the layout of a 6' leader. To go 8', you just extend each section a few inches. In the jig layout (right side) there are 2 cup hooks at the top of the jig, and 5 pegs staggered as shown. On the left, I've tried to illustrate the winding technique. If it looks a bit like a rat's nest, that's because it is.

Basically, you wind 5 loops of mono or thread from the cup hook around the first peg. On the 6th loop, you continue down to the second peg, and and wrap 3 loops from it THROUGH the loops on the first peg. On the 4th loop, you go around the bottom peg and up to the first peg (from the bottom) on the other side. As before, you thread this through the loops on the second peg, and continuing around the bottom, go on up to the second peg on the other side. 3 loops, as before between the 2nd and 1st peg, and 5 loops between the second peg (counting from the bottom on the other side) and the cup hook at the top. Finish by tying a surgeons loop in the end of the line and slipping it over the cup hook.

Now all you have to do is twist it. For a 6' leader using .004" mono, I find that 1800 twists are needed. I do this with an 1200 RPM electric drill. I run the drill, in reverse, for 1:30 min.

Now comes the only tricky part, actually furling the leader. I hang a 4oz sinker in the middle of the leader, and carefully line up both legs, to make sure they are exactly equal, without letting them twist together. Once I'm satisfied that my weight is exactly centered, and that there are no kinks in either leg, I let the the sinker spin, 4" to 6" at a time, until the whole leader has furled around itself.

Once it's furled, I usually let it hang somewhere for 10 or 15 minutes, to relax, and then I tie a loop in each end, and it's ready to use. For thread leaders, I usually tie perfection loops on both ends, but with mono, you might wand to consider using a Shorb loop.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:52 pm 
Brown Trout

"First of all, you don't need that long a furled section. Six to eight feet of furled butt is more than enough for a 12 foot leader. I have extended my basic 6' leader to 12' with tippet sections, without a problem."

Well that sure makes sense. I understand now. Thanks much for the write up. I will put it to good use.