southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Furled leaders --Questions
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:25 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

Let me expand on why you don't need a long furled leader. Furled leaders are pretty limp but they turn over real easy. Because of that you can use much longer tippets. The longer tippet means you don't need the longer leader.

Thanks Paul for the comments on the Frankenfurler. I need to pull it out again but I cannibalized some parts off of it for another project and haven't put it back together.

wilhelm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:42 pm 
Brown Trout

peewee wrote:
Hey Phil take a look at this site on making the furled leaders.I have been using this method for a while now and have no problems with them at all.You can make them as long or as strong as you like depending on the material you use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs

Well tonight after supper I finally got around to trying to make some leaders. Figure I'll pick up a spool of 2# test tomorrow and try to jerry rig a jig for PHG and Wilhelm's leaders. I was able to hand twist two leaders from a spool of 4# line I had using the video you posted Peewee. Ended up with a 6'er like the fella in the vid made then I turned around and made a three step 6'er. I believe they will fish, at least for warm water or streamers. :D
Thanks for the info fellas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:09 am 
Brown Trout

Phil
I think Phg has pretty much given you really good info.
Since you creek fish a lot, certainly Paul's suggestion on no more than 4 feet is dead on. Then 3 feet of 4X floro and you have the perfect creek rig

JT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:37 pm 
Brown Trout

Just got through with a half dozen furled leaders. 3 of 6/0 uni thread and 3 of mono thread. Jig was made of finish nails on the deck rail in place of posts and cup hooks. Works great, I used two nails side by side for the posts and the loop to loop went smoothly. Used my 550 rpm drill with hooks made from a big paper binder. To furl I drop it off the deck and hand from another nail then build another. Gonna pick up some 2lb. test later today and make a few more.
Thanks for the info PHG and everyone else. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:18 pm 
Brown Trout

Almost addicting, isn't it? :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:46 am 
Brown Trout

You are not joking. I got a 5 wt. rod lined with 4 wt. line out in the yard. Took the 6/0 uni thread furled leader and attached some cheap 4x and 5x for a total leader length of 13'+ and it cast absolutely beautifully. Dad came over, cast it pretty darn well and he's a single haul caster.

If you don't mind and can stand another few questions (yes I've searched it but am getting mixed answers):

If you opt to attach a mono or thread furled leader directly to the fly line how would you do it? I think I can use either monocord or heavy thread as the nail knot and coat with CA glue but how do I handle the very end of the leader? Do I extend the Nail knot over it too? I'm worried if I cut it that the fibers will work loose.

How do you fellas treat your thread leaders to float them? On the mono I figure I'll just use my mucilin.

I tried to make a few more leaders using the same formula posted here by using 4lb trilene mono. The first blew up after about 1000 twists. The second and third attempt worked fine with about 700 twists but the butt section was huge and I think they are worthless to me unless I buy a 10wt. rod. :lol: (I couldn't find 2lb test at Walmart). I tried to lower the thread wraps but can't figure out a way to drop the 1.5 turns between post 2 & 4. Will regular 2lb test work ok or am I supposed to be using tippet material?

Thanks again for all the info.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:18 am 
Brown Trout

Yes, heavier materials require fewer twists. On mono, the direction of twist isn't important, but with thread, you must twist counter-clockwise (in reverse).

I use loop to loop connections. I nail knot a short piece of heavy mono (20# test or greater) to the end of my fly line, and tie a loop in it.

For mono material, believe it not, I use "invisible thread" that is made for quilting. It is available at almost any store that carries sewing notions. It is .004" in diameter, and comes in clear and gunsmoke. Both make excellent leaders. Wilhelm used to have some red mono thread, but I don't know if you can still get it. I haven't been able to find it.

You can also use Uni-Mono Clear Monofilament thread. The fine is approx. .004" and is 1# test.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:08 pm 
Smallmouth Bass

I put a Shorb Loop in both ends of the furled leader and then attach the both fly line and the tippet loop to loop connections. http://www.furledleaders.co.uk/pdf/how-to-shorb-loop.pdf
Only tool you need to make a Shorb Loop is a knit-picker http://www.amazon.com/Knit-Picker-3-Inch-Latch-Hook/dp/B000FID3DI

Word of caution: Whatever you tie at the end of your furled leader DO NOT CUT the furled leader! If you do, you will have an un-furled leader very quickly.

wilhelm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:24 pm 
Brown Trout

Again,
Thanks fellas. I used a Shorb loop on a few of the mono leaders but used a perfection loop on the thread leaders and dabbed a bit of CA glue on the knot for security. I'll be sure to look for the invis-sewing thread. I already used all of my Uni-mono up!

Do you use Mucilin on the thread leaders too?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:42 pm 
Brown Trout

windknotter wrote:
Again,
Do you use Mucilin on the thread leaders too?

Yes