southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Forest Service Roads - gates open?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:51 am 
Brown Trout

Taking my first blue line trip of the year. The spot I have in mind is several miles down a forest service road and I have not been able to make sense of when the gates are open or closed for the year. Is there any particular schedule?

Trying to figure out if I can drive to where I get out and take a long hike, or whether I will need to park, maybe ride a mountain bike for several miles, and then take a long hike.

Thanks,

Aaron

Post subject: Re: Forest Service Roads - gates open?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:44 am 
Brown Trout

Aaron
Usually the park service opens the gate when the snow is gone and there is little chance of further snow.
The gates are open in Tenn now.

JT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:13 pm 
Brown Trout

We got on the road and into some of the gorge I was aiming for. I had a 50 foot rope, a GPS, and big plans for the adventure. Despite the rope and taste for a challenge, 1/2 mile or so of the stream was completely inaccessible for a day trip. On top of that, the canyon walls getting around were insanely steep and filled with rhodos.

Always the optimist, I suppose I could find a way to rope into some of the areas on a longer trip, but that would take the better part of a day.

The dry fly action was not happening yet, even with Overbrook's magic brookie fly. Things picked up after some experimentation with dropper patterns (size 14 pheasant tail was the ticket). However, by the time I figured that out, we had gotten into the area where our good sense made us focus on how we would get out by dark.

Wet wading was pleasant. (I didn't get a temp reading).

Jason, I got in much farther than we had managed that time, but I don't think the effort/reward ratio is really there. The adventure ratio, however, was high.

I was mostly helping a friend on this trip. He managed a very nice brookie in the range of 8 inches or so. A very rewarding experience.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:43 pm 
Brown Trout

Sounds like a good time.....I think we're gonna put off the smallie stuff a little longer and head to the mountains the end of the month.....hopefully they'll be eating the crystal calftail by then....cause I just spent half the day tying them! :?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:01 am 
Brown Trout

Well, now you know. 8-) All I knew was everything looked steep in the section we had to skip. I think I'm going to take a more relaxing trip on the other side of the paved road on Thursday.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:02 pm 
Brown Trout

[quote="Christensen"]Things picked up after some experimentation with dropper patterns (size 14 pheasant tail was the ticket). /quote]

It has been my experience that in the southeast a nice pheasant tail will always bring feesh to hand. There might a fly that will catch you more for that particular day, but PT has never let me down, actually, some of my best numbers (30+ feesh) have been with pheasant tail... Glad you made it alive... If I even get back in shape again I would love to trek with you sometime, right now I dont think I could manage anything the average Joe can exercise wise... :roll:

Can I be the "Frigging Puerto Rican" here?!