southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Ultimate Strike Indicator
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:07 pm 
Brown Trout

Rick, I lost the tool the first time I used it last September! The tool just makes it faster. I ordered another kit just to get another tool even though I could get along without it. I don't even take the indicator off when I finish fishing. I just reel it on the spool. I only use it on my 5 wt which is my terrestrial rod. I more or less use it for only a couple of flies. One of which I shall be using big time in a couple of weeks through the end of October. When I fish dries I use my 4 wt. When the indicator lays on the water it looks like a drowned mayfly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:24 am 
Rainbow Trout

Would a small piece of poly which floats great also work? Or might it be a little to slippery when pulled tight? dave m

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:35 am 
Brown Trout

canerod wrote:
Would a small piece of poly which floats great also work? Or might it be a little to slippery when pulled tight? dave m

I've used some Lightning Strike poly, it's twisted 2 pieces, untwisted it & used the smaller piece.

Grumpy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:06 am 
Brown Trout

You could use egg yarn, for that matter. The indicator material itself doesn't really matter, as long as it floats. It's all about using a piece of surgical tube slipped over your leader to form a movable loop in the leader, and then holding the yarn in place. The tool just makes it a lot easier to do.

I think it's over priced, but then, most strike indicators are over priced. In the grand scheme of things, though, it's not all that much money....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:07 am 
Brown Trout

Paul, the wool is the key. It is not treated and still has the oil in it. If you put a little bit of floatant on it it will float forever. The pack comes with a more or less lifetime supply of indicators in it unless you are spastic or fish for squirrels. I don't even take the indicator off my 5 wt during the summer because I am going to be fishing the same type of flies on the Smith from mid May through October.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:13 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Just go to a Joanne's Fabrics and ask for a "knit picker". They come in various sizes, then get some plastic tubing.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 pm 
Brown Trout

5xTippett wrote:
Paul, the wool is the key. It is not treated and still has the oil in it. If you put a little bit of floatant on it it will float forever. The pack comes with a more or less lifetime supply of indicators in it unless you are spastic or fish for squirrels. I don't even take the indicator off my 5 wt during the summer because I am going to be fishing the same type of flies on the Smith from mid May through October.

Would this be basically the same thing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mauch-Chunky-Kr ... 35c3b7e47e

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:03 pm 
Brown Trout

edit

Last edited by 5xTippett on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:09 pm 
Brown Trout

Aaron, I would just order the kit. If you don't like it you would have wasted $16.00. I bet you have wasted $16.00 on worst things! :twisted: I have 2 bags of wool and tubing. I have one tool attached to my vest and my first tool in in the grass somewhere on the banks of the Smith. I have one plastic bag full of wool and tubing in my vest and one in my waders. I am 58 and I could lose one or the other but I sincerely hope not both.