southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Wulff Ambush
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:12 pm 
Brown Trout

Has anyone tried this line? http://royalwulff.com/products/ambush-fly-line/ I am hearing reports of near magical qualities for distance and roll casting. Curious for your thoughts before I buy.

Post subject: Re: Wulff Ambush
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:04 pm 
Rainbow Trout

There are a LOT of guys out here in the PNW who swear by the Ambush line on switch rods. For me when I casted it with a single hand rod, it felt like any other shooting head. I can't say I was overly impressed, but it is a cool line that I can see why there is so much interest. I can't report any magical roll casting properties, but when applying sustained anchor as well as touch & go style spey casts it definitely required a lot less effort than what would've been required by a regular fly line. Downside is your ability to control the line once it is out there. Running line is damn near impossible to mend, especially so with a single hand rod. So once your bobber hits the water, leave it be otherwise it'll be an exercise in frustration when attempting to mend line for that drag free drift.

All that for this; the Wulff Ambush line is essentially a shooting head line. It has been scaled to accommodate down to a 4 weight line and has a front taper that is only slightly less abrupt than all other shooting heads. Personally I say it is another gimmick to lure in geardos.

Post subject: Re: Wulff Ambush
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:43 pm 
Brown Trout

Darthmonkey wrote:
There are a LOT of guys out here in the PNW who swear by the Ambush line on switch rods. For me when I casted it with a single hand rod, it felt like any other shooting head. I can't say I was overly impressed, but it is a cool line that I can see why there is so much interest. I can't report any magical roll casting properties, but when applying sustained anchor as well as touch & go style spey casts it definitely required a lot less effort than what would've been required by a regular fly line. Downside is your ability to control the line once it is out there. Running line is damn near impossible to mend, especially so with a single hand rod. So once your bobber hits the water, leave it be otherwise it'll be an exercise in frustration when attempting to mend line for that drag free drift.

All that for this; the Wulff Ambush line is essentially a shooting head line. It has been scaled to accommodate down to a 4 weight line and has a front taper that is only slightly less abrupt than all other shooting heads. Personally I say it is another gimmick to lure in geardos.

Excellent feedback; just what I was looking for. Thanks.