PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:18 am 
Brown Trout

Here ya go

Kenhook.se

Post subject: Re: Piss Me Off
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:12 pm 
Brook Trout

Peddler wrote:
My very first pack of dry fly hooks were Mustads. I feel your pain, JT, half of that box had unusable hooks in it. Not the best first impression so I swore of them for years. At a conclave out west years ago Mustad introduced their Signature hooks and after trying a few packs they became my go-to hooks. Every hook has been perfect and perfectly sharp. They're 'strong like bull' too. I'm getting down to seeds and stems with them as they stopped making the damned things. Stockard has a few styles left but very few.
Ain't that the way it is... you latch on to something that works for you then then you have to regret not getting more while you can.

Jack are you saying Mustad is not longer going to make the Signature series? I knew inventory was running low on the old style original hooks (ones made prior to early 2000's), but I knew nothing about the Signature series. I still see some of the old Mustads from time to time for sale. I can always tell when they are the old style because the numbers are different than the Signature series. I think the push to make sharper hooks changed the tempering process with a lot of hooks. The old Mustads could almost be bent double before they would break, but they weren't as sharp and the point didn't hold it's sharpness like the new generation of hooks. I think a lot of it can be blamed on the drive to make cheaper and cheaper steel. I don't care how good your manufacturing process is, if your raw product is junk, your finished product is going to be junk. I still use some of about all the ones mentioned here, including Mustad,TMC, Daiichi, and Gamakatsu. When I run out of the current stock of TMC I may switch off to some other brand. I was able to buy them a few years ago for about half retail, but that's no longer the case. I don't think there is a perfect hook for every fly. I think hook companies kinda ended up like rod companies. Rod makers wanted to make faster lighter rods and had to give up some strength. Hook makers wanted to make sharper hooks and they became more brittle.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:17 am 
Brown Trout

Discomidge wrote:
What's a hook?

I think it's a bad thing when playing golf.

you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death - Waters, Gilmore, Wright and Mason

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:00 am 
Brown Trout

At Bass Pro Shop, when I was working there we had several batches of bad hooks from Mustad and Temico. I'm talking pack after pack. We would pull them and returm them for replacement.

I believe we could check lot numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:33 pm 
Brown Trout

Brock,
I have not had any bad hooks or mis-sized hooks since this shit blew up about 2-3 years ago on TMC and Mustad . You would still like to think that they would be customer oriented and send guys like Overbrook some fresh hooks. I dunno-----mebbe not. What about it Tom

JT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:17 am 
Brown Trout

They don't give a rats ass because they will sell their hooks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:24 pm 
Brown Trout

JT....1st time on the forum in a long time....my tying and fishing gear hasnt seen the light of day in about two yrs....I figured most of ya's wrote me off. I got two teenage girls I'm trying to get out of the house maybe then I can get back to important stuff life fishing and twisting feathers around hooks.

but to your question. ....no, they never bothered to respond....maybe I should have taken them back to the shop where i bought them

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:40 pm 
Brown Trout

Hey OB! Welcome back. I was AWOL for years myself and just got back on here in the spring. Hope to see you around !