southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Scuds/Sowbugs
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:35 pm 
Rainbow Trout

Hey Blake. Whats the Ray Charles you are using look like? I have seen some here lately that are not even close. I'll find one from the bighorn and post you a pic.

:D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:47 pm 
Brown Trout

Smokey,

I've been using both tan and olive gray ostrich on size 18 and 20 hooks. I'm using red thread for the head. The size 20 has been the best....this is on high water. These are unweighted. I tied some today with some lead wire for weight. I'm also going to tie a few with olive, orange and amber colored ostrich before I go to bed. I'll be doing some testing tomorrow.

The pattern I've been tieing is simply ostrich wound up the hook shank followed by a strip of pearl flashabou for the shellback.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:45 pm 
Brown Trout

Blake,
I know I don't have a silver bullet but since you asked here's what I've used in my limited experience the last few years. I've been using mostly 16-18s with wapsi olive or gray sow/scud dubbing, matching scud back, mono ribbed and picked out. Was tipped off to using a tan UV ice dub version that worked well when nothing else would. Also tied a few olive versions with a little orange sow/scud dubbing mixed in (kinda like an orange band) to look like half sunbaked then washed back in on highwater. Those were originally fly shop tips mostly but what I've learned is the more drab the better they seem to work for me. I use a lead strip in the underbody on some but usually bounce mine with a split shot and miss a few strikes. Haven't had too much success with ostrich herl versions so I must be doing something wrong there. Probably talking out of school compared to most of you fellas on this subject but a scud has been a staple for me when fishing the Soho. I carry a box full of them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:51 pm 
Brown Trout

River Man wrote:
I'm serious guys....I know about the Ray Charles (thanks Smokey) which has been working pretty well lately and Ralph's crack fly. I've played around with the humpback and other standard scuds....still...there has to be a silver bullet fly in terms of size, weight/no weight, dubbing color, type of ribbing, color of head...whatever.....that I don't know about.

I heard RodC has some good local bugs :o

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:35 pm 
Brown Trout

OK Croaker.....you're on my payback list now....watch your back.....I think I may have a few news releases that will make you shine like a star :o :o .I'll be digging around in my archives,,....ya better check the forum quite often so they don't slip by you while you're down there in Ga.

Beware of smoke.........he has my back on this one.

Last edited by River Man on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:38 pm 
Brown Trout

Blakey, what are you doing on the computer? When I talked to you a little while ago you said you were going to get your spotlight and go look for kangaroos. :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:55 pm 
Brown Trout

kangaroo ? I have not heard of using that before :?: kangaroo serious?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:15 am 
Brown Trout

teachrtec wrote:
kangaroo ? I have not heard of using that before :?: kangaroo serious?

I've got a bunch of it in different dyed colors and natural....its good stuff !! ...well actually its wallaby ...sent to me from A/Conthefly down in Tasmania. He used to be on that other board till the ads came about and it took him too long to load a page on dial-up ....I still talk to him via e-mail all the time.....If you'd like....I'll see if he can hook ya'll up with some....matter of fact I should tell him about this board.....he's retired and on a fixed budget....so he won't mind hangin' out with all us slummers in the low rent district :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:41 am 
Brown Trout

I remember him! It has been a long time. I haven't used wallaby dubbing myself, but I'll bet it does make a nice buggy fly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:54 pm 
Brown Trout

phg wrote:
I remember him! It has been a long time. I haven't used wallaby dubbing myself, but I'll bet it does make a nice buggy fly.

Yup...Andrew's a super nice guy....I enjoy hearing about his adventures. The wallaby is remarkably soft like rabbit...yet enough gaurdhairs to make it look buggy :D