southernflyangler.com

Fly Fishing in the Southeastern US
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: epoxy questions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:47 am 
Brook Trout

so i am about to enter the world of epoxy and I have a few questions. I bought a package of the 5 minute epoxy to start but am looking at the kits that use the lights, i saw one of those while albie fishing last month and they looked easy and good.

but with the 5- minute epoxy -

1- with the kit, it has two bottles but no measurements. Can I eyeball the 'equal amounts of each bottle or does it have to be 'exact'?

2 - I have a few small mixing cups to use, plastic and disposable. Can I use a glass dish and then chip out the dried epoxy when I am done with it? or can I mix right over the dried stuff? or should I find and stick with the small disposable plastic cups?

3- to use, so after I squeeze in the fluids do I just use a little brush to mix it and then use the brush to 'paint' on the epoxy to the fly?
can i re-use the brush or are they a one time usage thing?

Thanks guys!

pt

Post subject: Re: epoxy questions
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:56 am 
Smallmouth Bass

Don't know anything about epoxy but durn sure like your tag line

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:50 am 
Brown Trout

With most two part epoxies it would be a 50/50 mix you're looking for. There is a lot of wiggle room built into that mix but 50/50 should be easy to eyeball.
Mix thoroughly with something hard like a popsickle stick or even a stick match for small batches then apply it. If you use a brush it's a one time deal. Buy a batch of cheap brushes.
I once read not to mix it on paper or cardboard as that can soak up some of the good juju in it. Whether that is true or not I can't tell you for sure, I just use a small sheet of glass that is easily cleaned once the stuff hardens.
I prefer to 20 minute epoxy as it appears to me anyhow not to yellow as readily.
My typing finger is worn out. Signing out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:06 pm 
Brown Trout

Peter,

Mix equal amounts on hard flat surface. Make sure you mix the two parts really good.

Go to McDonalds and get some coffee stir sticks. Mix and apply with these. Little bit goes a long way when working with epoxy. For really small application areas I use flat tooth picks.

I use plastic bowls or saucers found in picnic/paper plate section of the grocery store to mix the epoxy.

Leave the excess in the bowl or saucer when finished to monitor set up. I prefer the longer setting...20 or 30 minute epoxy for the longer working time. When you finished throw everything away and get ready for next project.

Ralph

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:20 pm 
Brook Trout

Thanks guys! sounds like fun!

I'm going to try to tie up so Dr. Deaths and see what I get.

pt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:38 pm 
Brown Trout

Peter.....
There are a couple of alternatives to epoxy that are worth exploring.
Loon Hard Head is a great epoxy substitute. Apply it right out of the jar.Cures epoxy-like in about an hour. 100% cure in 24 hours.
Loon UV Knot Sense is one that is cured with a UV light or exposure to direct sunlight.
A new one on the market is Clear Cure Goo. I haven't used it, but it looks pretty cool. It also cures witha UV light or sunlight.
Nothing wrong with epoxy either, except the mixing and the mess. The other products eliminate that part. Like Ralph, I use a 30 minute epoxy to lengthen working time. That way, you can get all the flies ready at one time, coat them all, and put 'em on a drying wheel without mixing numerous small batches.

One caveat about epoxy: It really does need to be mixed 1:1 as closely as possible so it cures to its maximum hardness.

I use Loon Hard Head for most of my flies, FWIW.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:04 pm 
Brown Trout

Hey streamer the boss at my house said a looney hard head tyes flies around here also.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:27 pm 
Brown Trout

peewee wrote:
Hey streamer the boss at my house said a looney hard head tyes flies around here also.

And she'd be right, Peewee. But that's one of your charms. Besides, there's some entertainment value there as well.

Yer Pal,
Streamer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm 
Brown Trout

Peter.....I use the z-poxy I like the five minute for larger amounts....this avoids all the sagging that can take place and they dry quick enough to do a number of batches for a short time....the 30 minute epoxy is great for brushing light top coats on poppers or applications where the flies need not be turned such as coating wingcases....then you can do bunches with one mix. I use the ketchup cups from fast food places and buy disposable brushes by the hundreds...and like Ralph said...smaller stuff ...toothpicks work well.

Loon hard head is a great product...I like it a lot....but its not for the Dr. Death....won't hold the eyes in for some reason.....you really need a good glob of epoxy (5-minute) and coat the eyes completely.....watch while your doing it so it does'nt drip before you get it on the wheel.....it can be messy...but after a couple you'll get the hang of it....I usually don't bother trying to get more than about 5 or 6 out of a batch as it begins to set-up by the 5th one. One other trick is after you place your 3D eyes on...put a small drop of super glue in between them and let those dry before adding the epoxy....the super glue will keep you from knocking the eyes off while brushing on the epoxy.

Good luck and let me know how they turn out....or if ya need anything! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:36 pm 
Brown Trout

I like Flex-cote. Mix it 1 to 1, on a thick piece of glass.
A straightened out paper clip is good for stirring the epoxy together and putting the epoxy on the fly.